help getting started on a rebuild

I have a super original Allstate Sidekick trail scoot with a B&S motor that appears to be as old as the bike. The numbers stamped on the motor are: 81302 943902 6105160. What do these tell me? I need a carb rebuild kit, and a refresh on the rest of the motor would be ideal. Not trying to build a hot rod, just as accurate of a restore as possible. Any guidance will be appreciated.

If you would like to find parts for the motor go to Partstree.com and input your model/type motor in the correct block. Should be inputted as 08302-9439-02. Your motor was built in 1961. After you have the correct part numbers you will find Outdoordistributors.com has better prices. Bookmark both these sites for future reference. Good Luck

oldfatguy

if your engine has good compression and doesn't smoke there is no need to take the short block apart. Briggs recommended just basic maintenance of removing the head and cleaning out the carbon build up. Also clean all the cooling fins around the cylinder and valves. The points can be cleaned with a file and dirt , grease and rust removed from the flywheel and coil. Clean the carb and fuel tank and you should be all set.

if your engine has good compression and doesn't smoke there is no need to take the short block apart. Briggs recommended just basic maintenance of removing the head and cleaning out the carbon build up. Also clean all the cooling fins around the cylinder and valves. The points can be cleaned with a file and dirt , grease and rust removed from the flywheel and coil. Clean the carb and fuel tank and you should be all set.
Exactly, I have pulled motors off the rock pile after sitting there through harsh Canadian winters for years and have just done that basic tune up and they have always ran for me. No need go through all that extra work when it isn't needed.

If you would like to find parts for the motor go to Partstree.com and input your model/type motor in the correct block. Should be inputted as 08302-9439-02.
So... I tried to navigate the Partstree website and had a bit of trouble inputting the numbers. First, I inputted the 08302-9439-02 that you recommended (which is slightly different from 81302 943902 which is on the motor). The search came back "sorry no results". Then I inputted the numbers as they appear on the motor in different ways (81302 943902 then 81302 9439 02) and still nothing. Am I doing something weird here?

I have read a bunch on the rebuilding and it appears you guys are giving good advice with the giving it a good clean etc and running it. After all, it ran great last summer even missing the idle air screw in the side of the carb. I am so used to VWs and tearing everything down to make sure its right, maybe I am overthinking this. HAHA! funny that such a little motor has me kinda confused.:laugh:

Ok... so perhaps I am not totaly dumb. I finally found it after searching in a different way. I needed to input it as "081302-9439-02". A big round of "DUH!" for me.:doah:

Sorry about that I see my fat finger got in the way again with the numbers. Yes when you search the model number needs to be 6 digits. If the older model is 5 digits just add the 0 in front.

I would check the condition of the motor first. Pull the head and look at the bore and check valve clearance. You might get away with just a head gasket. If you need to hone the cylinder I would tear it clear down and replace all the gaskets, seals and rings. psep.com sells rebuild kits that include gaskets, rings and new valves but you have to order the seals separately (seals are part #299819, you'll need 2). Cost is around $40.