Help identify frame I’ve had this mini bike since I was my sons age and we are going to restore it

This may be outta line question. What do most people do with these bikes? I have enough odds and ends of past Harley and car build laying around to make the boy somthing that’s really nice and one of a kind..however is it better to leave it all stock?

Hey @Shane5684 - I think it's always your call. I have a couple of vintage hobbies. I've got a bike that I'm currently "restoring". In my case, restoring means making it functional. I tend to like stock stuff, but that doesn't mean it's gotta be. One of my other hobbies is old VW's. I've got a '67 Beetle. A 67 Beetle to all the VW folks is a very unique year, with some of them calling it "the best year". Purists seek them for restoration - original - stock. Our 67 is anything but that. It's a dogs breakfast of early and late parts. I won't change it as it's a pretty cool custom.

Your son won't really care if it's pink, purple, custom or stock. He'll just want to work on the project with you. If you want to teach him about engines - it's a great opportunity. Welding...? Fabrication? Paint? All good life skills for a young fella.

That's my thoughts anyway. All the best with your project - whatever way you want to go!

Last edited:
Hey @Shane5684 - I think it's always your call. I have a couple of vintage hobbies. I've got a bike that I'm currently "restoring". In my case, restoring means making it functional. I tend to like stock stuff, but that doesn't mean it's gotta be. One of my other hobbies is old VW's. I've got a '67 Beetle. A 67 Beetle to all the VW folks is a very unique year, with some of them calling it "the best year". Purists seek them for restoration - original - stock. Our 67 is anything but that. It's a dogs breakfast of early and late parts. I won't change it as it's a pretty cool custom.

Your son won't really care if it's pink, purple, custom or stock. He'll just want to work on the project with you. If you want to teach him about engines - it's a great opportunity. Welding...? Fabrication? Paint? All good life skills for a young fella.

That's my thoughts anyway. All the best with your project - whatever way you want to go!
My son is starting to get interested in engines and bikes. He can already bubble gum stuff together and cut a straightish line with a plasma torch haha. Trying to teach him now so he has a skill set to fall back on if college isn’t for him. He helped me with stroking and putting cams in my Harley and multiple cat c15 rebuilds milling head setting sleeves all sorts of stuff I’m sure other parents would frown upon…

toomanytoys

I'd restore this bike back to as close to original as you can. If he wants to ride or modify a bike of his own grab a coleman. They can be made into anything you want and you aren't ruining a desired bike.

But at the end of the day it's yours to do with as you please!

I've started my daughter on a coleman bt200x. She is getting stage 1 parts to put on it in the spring, then next year if she improves she will get a torque convertor to put on.

the boy has stated he doesn’t want to modify it just restore it so he can ride it around it’s his now so he has the final decision…. All stock it shall be…(He wants to upgrade after he saves his money up to buy a newer bike. So the hunt for all the parts begins. Anyone hear have a line on the brakes and correct wheels also what colors it came in?

Allied Leisure is Lil Indian. They have been in business all these years and the man who started the mini bike craze is there and going strong. You can obtain some information from their web site and store and you can also find information on this forum by using the search function. For your basic parts, top of this page, Hent.com. Tires, wheels, bearings, cables, clutches, etc.
Thank you!!

Lizardking

Hello and welcome to the club! Your boy's attention has been captured so run with it!

Imo, find a cheap rider bike for your boy to practice with for now. If you want it back to stock then prepare to break the piggy bank for some of the parts.

Some people take many years and $$$$ to find the correct og equipment for vintage mini bikes. Some never find them....

You can just put universal parts to make it a rider and find the correct parts as you go.

Hello and welcome to the club! Your boy's attention has been captured so run with it!

Imo, find a cheap rider bike for your boy to practice with for now. If you want it back to stock then prepare to break the piggy bank for some of the parts.

Some people take many years and $$$$ to find the correct og equipment for vintage mini bikes. Some never find them....

You can just put universal parts to make it a rider and find the correct parts as you go.
I think we are going to make it safe and rideable for him. Would it be wrong to go over these old gas welds? Already made a new steering stem to replace the bolts and new bronze sleeves in the lathe. What else should I do or not do? Keep in mind I’ve stroke a 52 pan head because I thought it was a good idea.

Lizardking

I think we are going to make it safe and rideable for him. Would it be wrong to go over these old gas welds? Already made a new steering stem to replace the bolts and new bronze sleeves in the lathe. What else should I do or not do? Keep in mind I’ve stroke a 52 pan head because I thought it was a good idea.
Like others have said, wrong or right it's yours to do as you please. These old welds still hold up to grown men and women riders well!!

Now if you're going to stock and expect best future value then don't do anything that can't be reversed. If there's cracks on the frame then make it a safe rider bike and enjoy!.

Serious $$$$ buyers know when anything has been changed to affect the value of the bike. Even welding will effect it depending on the buyer. If none of that matters to you then have at it and share pictures!!

I will post pics we are going to put the original motor together tonight. I did mildly clean the exhaust port and the intake port……but it will be all stock other then that…..the bushings that were made are the same dimensions as the ones we took out but are .500in longer so they can take and hold grease. I’m not a fan of the bolts for a steering stem. So we made a greasable stem with a zert in the bottom.

Attachments

So finally got around to building the exhaust and finished cutting the valves what do you think? Yes I cut .015 off the valve for more flow. next is the intake with a 22mm slide carb. Since the motor isn’t original as I thought it a 78 Briggs 3.5 horse I’m showing my son how to port polish cut valve set a head in the right angle grinder and tig weld a little. Thank you for the reply’s

Attachments

If you built a new front suspension, just save the old one in case you ever sell it.
It looks like you are deep into the engine, which i personally think is great. A "stock appearing" engine that has performance modifications and runs great is something no one should complain about imho.
maybe build the engine and try to restore the frame so that it can be returned back to stock eventually.
if possible.
Your son is going to get older and will prob outgrow that bike someday.

Yes the engine will appear stock but I all actuality won’t be…. We are not modify the frame and or front end. We also have a 1973 Kawasaki 100 to rebuild as well. I’m going to figure out how much I can sadly cut off the head tonight and finish the final porting. I’ll post more pics as we move along.

Started the final grind on the intake valve port. Does anyone have suggestions before I go to far? Smoothed any casting marks out and made an nice smooth transition for flow. Might end up polishing the exhaust port out with cutting compound once I’m done so carbon can’t collect anywhere. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. As for the front end I’m looking for another one so we can have a actual hydraulic brake. Also with valves fully open with thicker gasket I have .164 of clearance between head and valve. If I’d shave off .010 what kind of improvement will we gain? Does anyone have the stock compression ratio?

Attachments

If you built a new front suspension, just save the old one in case you ever sell it.
It looks like you are deep into the engine, which i personally think is great. A "stock appearing" engine that has performance modifications and runs great is something no one should complain about imho.
maybe build the engine and try to restore the frame so that it can be returned back to stock eventually.
if possible.
Your son is going to get older and will prob outgrow that bike someday.
Would you have a suggestion on front end?