HELP, need axle

Help, I need a 5/8" axle 16 1/2" long threaded on both ends for an older fat tire mini bike. I have been searching with no luck. If anyone has any ideas where I can find or order one I would be very great full. Thanks in advance

OldSchool I don't know of any axles that long.....you might have to get a machine shop to make you one. There is some machinist on here that can make you one....maybe someone will step up ! :shrug: Good Luck !:thumbsup:

Are the holes in the frame/swingarm/forks big enough for 5/8" rod or are you going to have to machine it smaller on the ends? I know my Rupp uses a 5/8 axle but the bolt holes in the fork are closer to 3/8".

If you are going to get round stock and cut threads(which is a good idea), avoid getting any type of tool steel. It is really hard stuff, and cutting threads on it can be ugly. If you don't have a high quality die it can be impossible. Stick with something like this. https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0968094 4140 is easily machined and you can make threads on it easily.

I'm a total rookie at knowing what metal to use for what, but I bet it should be hard enough to not bend during normal usage.

Joe

Stick with something like this. https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0968094 4140 is easily machined and you can make threads on it easily.

I'm a total rookie at knowing what metal to use for what, but I bet it should be hard enough to not bend during normal usage.

Joe
Joe that is a little PRICEY at $3.00 plus a foot..... And its hot rolled (note it says "mill finish" and then "hot rolled") which means it is not consistent in size. You need a piece of cold rolled at least to have a consistent part. It would just be a drop at any good machine shop. And you probably could find a piece on Ebay cheap enough. Stock Car Steel on Ebay probably has it. Then all you need is a die to thread it.

Here is exactly what he needs .

5/8 INCH COLD ROLL ROUND 48 INCHES LONG STEEL ROD | eBay

I am going to save this seller who gives "Free Shipping" on steel..... [MENTION=47323]OND[/MENTION] [MENTION=53722]FOMOGO[/MENTION] [MENTION=46660]Everybody[/MENTION].....

Doug

Joe that is a little PRICEY at $3.00 plus a foot..... And its hot rolled (note it says "mill finish" and then "hot rolled") which means it is not consistent in size. You need a piece of cold rolled at least to have a consistent part. It would just be a drop at any good machine shop. And you probably could find a piece on Ebay cheap enough. Stock Car Steel on Ebay probably has it. Then all you need is a die to thread it.

Here is exactly what he needs .

5/8 INCH COLD ROLL ROUND 48 INCHES LONG STEEL ROD | eBay

I am going to save this seller who gives "Free Shipping" on steel..... [MENTION=47323]OND[/MENTION] [MENTION=53722]FOMOGO[/MENTION] [MENTION=46660]Everybody[/MENTION].....

Doug
That looks like it will work!
Joe

Has anyone tried using a jack shaft? They come in 5/8 and are threaded, but have the key way in them. Still should work, right? No idea if the tensile strength on them is good enough for axles. For some reason, Azusa stops at 10" and after that, it's jack shafts.

when i get low grade a-36 round stock from the fab shop Its often too big or out of round. Takes a bunch of work to make the 5/8 bearings fit. Last time I bought a better grade a-588 and fit was perfect with no mill scale on it.

Last edited:
I bought 20 feet of 5/8 stainless steel to make axels with but getting a hand die to start cutting was a pain in the rear. To me it would be a job for a machine shop. Tri Sport used an axle that was just a steel rod tapped on each end and used a washer a bit larger on each end. Some people here on OldMiniBikes have had real problems removing this type axle once demon rust locked up wheel bearing spacers. Remember a bit of anti-seize compound is a great preventive measure wherever steel is fit against steel.

Last edited: