help needed with Alsport Tri-sport

hi, i am prepping for doing paint and adding disk brakes but having disassembly problems. how do you get these off the axle coming out of the diff ? i removed the set screw already, oh ya and the last paint job that was done covered everything since it was in one piece when painted.

heres pics

hi, i am prepping for doing paint and adding disk brakes but having disassembly problems. how do you get these off the axle coming out of the diff ? i removed the set screw already, oh ya and the last paint job that was done covered everything since it was in one piece when painted.

heres pics
Heat em?

Well the heat is the trick. But if you can find one a pickle fork makes a good wedge to place against the band break drum.
Steve :scooter:
a pickle fork ? gonna have to look that up now.
i was also looking into a ball joint splitter but its limited to its thickness

EDIT : ok just looked, basically the same thing. going to try it with heat.

thank you

wjustice

When I took my RTS apart these were tough. I ended up removing the u-joint, applying heat and used a puller. There was lok-tite on everything, the set screw and the shaft. Oh yeah, make sure you completely remove the set screw, it goes into a pocket in the axle

Pull the c-clips from the inside, press them to one side, pull the cap them press them the other way.
Ok got it off without having to remove u-joint, some heat and a modified tie rod fork. Had to cut the fork opening to 1".
Now the other side set screw is busted flush. I either gotta drill it out or not put a disk on that side.

Do most of you run dual disk brakes.

And whats up with the keys on the axle ? Are they machined as part of the axle cause they dont budge.

wjustice

They are woodruff <sp> keys, the half moon style. They come out, spray them and either tap down on one end so that they rotate around and out or drive from one end as upwards as possible.
I put dual mechanical disks on my small TS. I'm happy with them. I am planning on putting them on my TS290 hopefully soon. The 290 has 3 brakes (both axles and a 3rd on the jackshaft), the j/s is decent with a band brake but the axles do little. I'm gonna use mech calipers with 6" disks on all 3.

If you look at my pictures, my blue TS has some pics of what I did to add the disc brakes.

wjustice

I converted my rts from a hydro brake on the jackshaft to dual axle mounted. I have a full size rts and the frames are different but you can see my setup, very powerful.

Last edited:
i did some pre setup mockup. the way it seems is that with the torque converter setup there is only room for 6 inch disks. or am i missing something.
the 8 inch disk will hit the belt and possibly the jackshaft side (driven ? is that what its called ?)

wjustice

My brake conversions were on different models from yours. My rts is a large frame and the TS is a completely different style. You may only have room for 6" rotors.
Yes that's the driven, on the engine is the drive clutch.