Help with clutch stall

Ok so I just put a new clutch on my bike it's a max torque 14th with a black spring and I think the stall is set at 3800rpm but when I launch the bike it just Boggs but when the power band hits all you gotta do is hold on cause it flys,
Does anyone know why it won't launch good
Mods to the motor are
22mikuni
Header
18lb springs

What type of MAX do you have ? I don't see any MAX that comes set at 3800 . Maybe its not set there .
With your mods the motor is probably not going to go much past 6k , so engaging at 3800 doesn't leave much .

I think my maxtorque box stock class clutch engages at 3000. I chose it because of a starting issue. I needed the higher rpm range. I got it from ARC?

As far as your lugging I'm going with the gearing. They work best with a range of 5:1 to 6:1 once you exceed that range something suffers. Too low and you have a wheelie machine with no top end. Too high you get a poor take off, overheat the clutch, but you'll have the speed everybody is after. I'm turning 6 to 7000rpm and with the higher stall I'm building power before the clutch engages which is better on the clutch because it doesn't lug and still allows for some high speeds.

Last edited:

vwfan79

You need to get a tach, knowing rpms will help answer a lot of your questions. A tech will tell you what rpm your engaging at, it will also tell you what rpms your turning at top end. The lag is probably from your motor not making enough power down low, what is your gearing? Anywhere around 4.5-5.25 is hard on a clutch with a motor with a lot of power.

You need to get a tach, knowing rpms will help answer a lot of your questions. A tech will tell you what rpm your engaging at, it will also tell you what rpms your turning at top end. The lag is probably from your motor not making enough power down low, what is your gearing? Anywhere around 4.5-5.25 is hard on a clutch with a motor with a lot of power.
My gearing is 14/62
My clutch is a max torque with black springs

Should I set my stall to kick in when my powerband does

With one gear, you will have to compromise, you can not have top speed and great launch. Well, actually you can, but not with a $30 clutch. Good luck.

Buy the Downs bro's manual clutch. I've heard the thing rocks & that they're good people to work with.

Either that, or buy a racing clutch. A little box-stock centrifugal isn't going to hold up to that for very long.

Buy the Downs bro's manual clutch. I've heard the thing rocks & that they're good people to work with.

Either that, or buy a racing clutch. A little box-stock centrifugal isn't going to hold up to that for very long.
What type of clutch should I buy then and where would my motor make the most torque? When the power band kicks in?

Last edited:

vwfan79

The 4.42 gearing is way to high for your motor, I would move it to 5.50. The black spring I believe stalls at 3000 maybe 3200 but they wear out and the stall slowly drops. A cheetah 2 disc clutch is a nice reasonably priced clutch, it's 170ish. Or buy a tav. I had a highly modded motor with a 4.5 gear ratio and the only clutch that handled it was a disc clutch, but the motor has to be able to handle it too.

Yes ideally you want to set your stall where your motor starts making power, in your case probably around 3000. Yet again another reason for a tach, without riding your bike I can't say really where it makes power only you can and without a tach your just guessing.

The 4.42 gearing is way to high for your motor, I would move it to 5.50. The black spring I believe stalls at 3000 maybe 3200 but they wear out and the stall slowly drops. A cheetah 2 disc clutch is a nice reasonably priced clutch, it's 170ish. Or buy a tav. I had a highly modded motor with a 4.5 gear ratio and the only clutch that handled it was a disc clutch, but the motor has to be able to handle it too.

Yes ideally you want to set your stall where your motor starts making power, in your case probably around 3000. Yet again another reason for a tach, without riding your bike I can't say really where it makes power only you can and without a tach your just guessing.
Yeah I'm going to buy a tach soon, what is a 5.50 gearing like how do I get it to 5.50

trinik7597

Yeah I'm going to buy a tach soon, what is a 5.50 gearing like how do I get it to 5.50
gearing is real simple divide the larger number by the smaller number and that is your ratio :thumbsup: for instance 12/60 is 5to1 12/72 is 6to1 so on
and your 12/62 was 5.16 to 1 and should have gotten you out of the hole faster than where you are at now

gearing is real simple divide the larger number by the smaller number and that is your ratio :thumbsup: for instance 12/60 is 5to1 12/72 is 6to1 so on
and your 12/62 was 5.16 to 1 and should have gotten you out of the hole faster than where you are at now
Yes my 12/62 got me out of the hole crazy fast but it would max out before half block