Hemi build for my 12 year old

My 12 year old is going to start racing karts next year. I know he doesn't need anything wild. I have already taken the governor out so I will be adding a billet flywheel. But what are stuff should I change? I'm thinking springs for sure. I was looking at the stage 1 kit from the OldMiniBikes warehouse, but will that be enough for him? The only thing left other than springs is maybe a timing key and jetting right? What do you guys think?

vwfan79

Don't forget the billet rod, with no governor the stock rod will be toast very shortly. Personally I would look at getting a different cam and maybe bored stock appearing carb.

I would get the CL-1I Dyno cam, trick 10.8 springs , and set the valve lash at .001...oh and maybe a Holy Moses plate carb from Dover Power. The flywheel you got should have 32 degrees of timing built in, so that should be ok, and like vw said get a ARC rod and It will last all season .

I would get the CL-1I Dyno cam, trick 10.8 springs , and set the valve lash at .001...oh and maybe a Holy Moses plate carb from Dover Power. The flywheel you got should have 32 degrees of timing built in, so that should be ok, and like vw said get a ARC rod and It will last all season .
Thanks guys. Yeah I was planning on the rod for sure too.

Last edited:
I have a Dover carb, and I love it. It's not too crazy. I'm also running a CM cam from Dyno Cams with 18 lb springs. I can turn 7500-8000 rpms easily. I also have a .20 over rod with a 14cc head.

Do not use use the 10.8 lb springs (not heavy enough) for valve weight; 18 lb springs will bind; Best bet is Dynocams 22 Lb. springs @ $3.00 ea.

Okay, so here is what I'm thinking:
removed governor and oil sensor
billet flywheel
billet .020 rod
cl2 cam
26# springs
Holy Moses plate carb (must use blue plate)

Should I get new retainers and keepers? Stainless valves?

Okay, so here is what I'm thinking:
removed governor and oil sensor
billet flywheel
billet .020 rod
cl2 cam
26# springs
Holy Moses plate carb (must use blue plate)

Should I get new retainers and keepers? Stainless valves?
It can't hurt. I've heard that 26lb springs can pop the tops off of stock valves. That's the only mod I plan to do to mine. I want to bump up to 26 lb springs, but I won't do it with stock push rods and valves.

If this is the hemi head motor I would get a 27mm stainless Int. valve and a 25 mm stainless Exh. valve ...with aliminum retainers to fit the 26 lb springs and high groove keepers/locks.

If this is the hemi head motor I would get a 27mm stainless Int. valve and a 25 mm stainless Exh. valve ...with aliminum retainers to fit the 26 lb springs and high groove keepers/locks.
Will I need 26lb springs or will 18 be sufficient? Someone had told me 26 but a friend I mine used 18 with no problems

I'm using 18 with my CM cam. You can too, but I bet they'll start to float. I think Isky recommends 26 with the BM Jr. I really want to swap mine and see what I can do with 26lb springs. Not sure if it will be a huge difference, but I want to find out.