Hemi vs. non-hemi 212's?

So I've finally decided to bite the bullet & buy a 212 for my upcoming, ham-handed bastardization of a ultra-mega-super valuable, worth 6-figures GENUINE 1985 Kawasaki KX125 frame (made only for one year!) :wink:

So before heading out to Harbor Freight, what are the differences between the two 212's? Are the Hemi's harder to build? (parts differences, etc.?)

Not looking to build an all-out screamer, just thinking of ways to get a little extra pep & a durable engine. Billet rod & flywheel are going to be the first things done, obviously.

I figure for the same price, it's pretty hard to go wrong (especially at $100-ish).

This engine will lead a pretty easy life, it's not going to be a WOT queen. It'd just be nice to build something that could loft along at 30mph & maybe touch 45mph on an all out sprint.

On another note, dimensionally, how much larger are the 420's?

I figure that would be a nice way to go. A little big-block power. :wink:

Last edited:
I'm not an engine builder but I have purchased about every HF engine they have in stock. The 212 is a baby compared to the 420. I have a 420 in my quad build and can't imagine trying to fit anything that size in a mini but I'm sure it can be done. I also noticed that the hemi 212's have a real air filter inside the plastic "tower" combined with some oddly jammed vent tubes going through the box and the non-hemi has a wimpy piece of foam. The rocker cover is also cast on the hemi and stamped sheet on the non-hemi. The gas tank mounts are also different and tank has a weird funky shape. Please note: these are not the Cali-versions which also have additional differences. Power differences, I haven't noticed anything by comparing both in stock form. If I had to choose between the 2, I would buy the hemi version again because I like the air filter and looks of the cast aluminum cover.

If you only plain to go 35-40 mph you could just do some regearing my db has 212 with header and air filter kit and it goes about 50. And I never reach my gov.

I like the hemi head 212 because it comes with a factory flat top piston, its got the hemi head design and any 196 clone cam will fit in this block. Hope this helps.:wink: