Hiawatha Doodle Bugs

I just returned from Annual Hiawatha Doodle bug reunoin, seen tons of real Doodle Bugs. I am wondering if anyone here has Hiawathha scooters. I have 6 of them and it seems that i am in good company. Is there any more here? Al

Oldsalt

I have a 46 Hiawatha. Or at least a good portion of one....not the original engine and have few of the original drive system components. Got the registration straightened out last week. It will be legal on public roads....when it's finished. My problem is that I am unsure of the direction I should go; Drop the heavy loot to restore the machine, or just make a good runner without the proper drive system and kick-start engine? Lon

Hi Ron
Nice to hear from you. All Hiwatha Doodle Bugs are collectable, you can do it any way you wish. If you want to build it into a rider, go ahead. If you do it in a way that you do not desecrate or destroy its natural retro appeal you will be doing good. You can buy or build parts as you go. A constant ongoing Hiawatha project is not uncommon. please contact me if you have questions or need the supplier of parts. Al

Oldsalt

Al

I'll have a lot of questions before it's complete. However, I refuse to start the project until all other projects have been put to bed. I found an original "A" engine [Briggs].......price was $1,900. I just don't see me doing that so it will get an engine that is close but no kickstarter. That engine is already restored and sitting on the bench. I would, however, drop some hard cash for original rims.

How did you end up with six of them! A more or less identifiable bare frame goes for half a grand, or better, on eBay. Obviously the most costly mass produced mini out there.

How about some pictures!

Lon

Last edited:
The original engine was a Briggs NP, they can be reproduced from a NR with parts from yesterdays rides. If you are looking to get it rolling on a buget start with a standard model N rope start they will directly interchange without tearing up anything original. Yesterdays rides has manuals fairly reasonable, their parts are nearly exact reproductions and very high quality. A 3 hp briggs will work very nicely also. Keep asking questions everyone who knows Hiawathas is very willing to help. How i got 6 ? I have 5 grand children and one extra for me. I aslo have been digging in scrap piles, rattling bushes, Schmoozing people with an eye for junk, and have been at it for a while, and yes sometimes you must pay too much for them. Al

Oldsalt

The original engine was a Briggs NP, they can be reproduced from a NR with parts from yesterdays rides. If you are looking to get it rolling on a buget start with a standard model N rope start they will directly interchange without tearing up anything original. Yesterdays rides has manuals fairly reasonable, their parts are nearly exact reproductions and very high quality. A 3 hp briggs will work very nicely also. Keep asking questions everyone who knows Hiawathas is very willing to help. How i got 6 ? I have 5 grand children and one extra for me. I aslo have been digging in scrap piles, rattling bushes, Schmoozing people with an eye for junk, and have been at it for a while, and yes sometimes you must pay too much for them. Al
Your advice is well taken. I'm now sure would be best for me to make a nice "runner" out of it but avoid altering original parts so that, at a future time, the bike can be restored. What the heck, not one person in five million would know that many of the parts are not correct.

As I was able to get it registured for the road, as a 1946 Scooter, it will have to have a generator to power the lights. Do you know if there's a good way of doing that? Type and mounting?

The nicest early cast iron engine of that series, that I have, is a 6S. Serial number says it was built in May of 1951. Will if "fit" without altering the frame or other original parts? Got a lot of early Briggs engines in storage. I better dig through them and see if there's a viable N or NP.

Any ideas on "proper" rims. Probably best for me to go back to Yesterday's Rides in Newberg OR. That is only a couple of hundred miles from me. I stopped by when I had business in Portland. Should have spent more time an learned more when I was there.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

My Hiawatha Doodlebug has a long way to go.
Someday I'll get it to roll under power.
Take heart! The attached photo was taken in the pits at the Bonneville Salt Flat during Speedweek. The owner said he started with just a frame, which is less than what you have. He even had to made the handle bars. He also made everything else other than the engine and drive system. Even the front fender is hand made. Low buck, but it is definately a high zoot pit bike!

Hi Ron
it appears your scooter has the original Geeral jumbo JR tires, that is a real plus as reproductions are big dollars. I cannot see the wheels on your bike,but it is possible they may be original. you need the fenders, floor pan, engine plate, seat and quite a lot of msic parts. I am not very familar with 6-s engines, but i believe they had a vacu-jet carb with the tank mounted right on it. that may ot work very well. it is usually very easy to find an N engine that will fit right on, and the tank mounts behind the seat. Al