homemade minibike build

This seems to be a never ending project but I have finally got my mini bike running smooth with no problems.

I started playing with motors about 3 years ago and attempted putting a motor on a bicycle frame. It worked, but not very well. I was forever having chain problems and it just sucked. I then found the web page minidoodle, and thats when it all started. Just over 1 year ago i got the opportunity to build a mini bike frame at school. I learnt many things throughout the construction process, the main thing being, never let people tell you it will wont work. Well I started looking at just about every minibike i could find, I ended up drawing about 3 sets of plans.

The original wheels were from a pocket rocket, which were excellent because they had disc brake setups. I had an old 4hp briggs that i could have used, but it smoked and wouldn't have lasted long. So after some research I chose to get a honda gx200 clone off ebay. If i were to buy another motor I would look into getting an old motorbike motor, mainly because they have inbuilt gearboxes.

So the first few pictures below are of the mini bike just after the frame was complete. The motor was box stock and it had a cheapy comet centrifugal clutch. At first i thought the motor had enormous power, but i soon got used to it. The rear sprocket soon ripped out of the hub because the pocket bike wheels are only made for 3-4hp motors. I ordered a new rear wheel setup which helped allot. From the beginning i always had chain problems, because of the length of the chain it stretched and rattled around lots from the motor vibrations, this caused the chain to frequently come off. I kept the bike in this setup up until about 1 month ago. I then decided to get the bike to work properly. I bought a comet 30 series torque converter and welded up a jackshaft. This shortened the length of the chain which fixed my chain problems.

Allong the way I have done some modifications to the motor. I have put on a gx160 head, 1.2:1 rockers and a 22mm mikuni carb. I plan on buying a good header soon.

Below are pictures of the bike in order from start to finish.

ENJOY

Last edited:
The header will come in time.

The bike really gets up and goes. it easily lifts the front wheel on take off. Unfortunatly I didn't take any photo's while the frame was being built, and they are all the photo's I have. The first 2 photo's are from when I just put it together for the first time. You can see I dont even have the chain hooked up. photos 3 and 4 are with the new rear wheel setup and carby. the last 3 photo's are the bike as it is today, with the torque converter.

I'm considering giving it a new paint job soon because it has scratches all over it. What colour do you guys suggest?

I would like to build a chopper, but I'm pretty sure it wont be anytime soon. I built that bike at school and next year I wont be doing the right subjects to make something like that again. I wish there were workshops that you could go to and pay a fee for a days work and use all the tools and machines, like welders and benders. I don't have enough of my own tools to make something any good.

jeep4me

That is one sweet mini. Nice to see younger people getting into this hobby. Get in good with a local mechanic or muffler shop or get a part time job at one, even if it's just cleaning up. Then start telling them about your mini build and I bet they'll want to help you with the next one.

I'm going to see if there are any welding or metal work night courses that i can do once or twice a week.

Any ideas on what colour i should paint my bike? I'm thinking of a red frame to match the motor and then a black seat. Or do you think it looks good in black?

jeep4me

Color is totally a personal preference. I just painted my Fox Doodle Bug frame red and then sprayed it with a reflective topcoat. It looks like a flat finish but at night it really does reflect light and almost glows. I was very suprised. Have fun with it. It's just paint, if you don't like it you can always repaint it.

Hey steady Adrian here from QLD

Look at a local muffler shop or enginering place for part time work (Both have pipe benders and welding gear) or save up and buy a stick welder from Kmart and practice on scrap from your local fabrication place They are only to happy to help!!!

My 16 yr old daughter wanted her hair done one time so the local hairdresser let her clean up and wash hair for a couple of saterdays till she had enough to pay for it

Grown ups love kids with a bit of go behind them just be up front with them

All the best ...........Adrian............

N-gin

Nice mini steady.
Color is really a personal prefrence. If I were you I would search your local car dealers for ideas. Dont go to a small dealer go to a Lexus dealer, Mercedes dealer, And if there is one close to you a Ferrarri/Lamborgini. Just the other day I saw a killer Lam with a orange paint job that looks a little yellow looking in then sun. BTW dont use this color it is mine for my mini:hammer:.
Or you can go to a local car shop and if they have a spraybooth more then likly they will have a album of colors to chose from. Hint: if you like bright flashy colores imports are the way to go. Good luck

Nice.

Looks good!

Whatever color you decide to go with, go LOUD! Black, blue, too boring. Find a lime green, or stupidly-bright yellow, or orange... Make it stand out!

Imagine what you could build if you had your own equipment.