homemade winter project

so i spent the day making an intake adapter for a mikuni carb and just tried to get the engine to run in general. this is not only a frame build but also a motor build. i had the head milled .070 and did all the billet stuff and stiffer springs, dual lash caps and all that stuff. so im excited to try the frame and the engine. the throttle is hooked up and the carb and everything is mounted on the engine. tomorow i will weld some gas tank mounts on and then i will be able to bolt the seat on and i should be ready to at least start the engine. i already drilled the high speed jet bigger to around a #110 jet size.

also i didnt get my sprocket machined yet so i used a stock doodlebug sprocket. its too close to the side of the swing arm so it will work to just try the bike out but i will get the proper sprocket done and everything should work perfectly.

here is the bike with the tank and seat on it. its pretty much ready to be tested out all that needs to be done is i need to make a spring tensioner. i will be using a doodlebug chain roller and going to make a pivoting tensioner.

also if i have time tomorow i will mount the front fender so i can try it offroad and maybe hit some puddles. i will get some videos of the initial start up tomorow and possibly the test ride.

future improvements to this bike will include a new seat. i want to make one half the thickness and with dense foam. and possibly a longer swing arm, but i will decide on that after i ride it and see if it tries to wheely too much.

Last edited:
so i got time today to do a first start up of the engine. started first pull with the choke on or off i dont know how it is on mikunis but the choke lever was up.

it seems to run great and is very loud but the idle is pretty high for some reason. i unscrewed the idle screw all the way and it still spun very fast. im not sure if its because of the cam or because there is no filter or if there are air leaks in the manifold but i will figure it out in the new year. here are some videos of it running.

so i got time today to do a first start up of the engine. started first pull with the choke on or off i dont know how it is on mikunis but the choke lever was up.

it seems to run great and is very loud but the idle is pretty high for some reason. i unscrewed the idle screw all the way and it still spun very fast. im not sure if its because of the cam or because there is no filter or if there are air leaks in the manifold but i will figure it out in the new year. here are some videos of it running.
______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm gonna guess it's your intake leaking that's causing it to idle so high. I made a few intakes and it's always been the problem. Check and double check it for leaks, just might be the problem.:thumbsup:

Mr X

looking good there . but what fell off the frame ? looks like a flash light and a zippy tie
what fell off is the reservoir for the the rear shock. its supposed to be held on with a pipe clamp but i used a zip tie to get it out of the way for now. and i guess the zip tie couldnt take it.

Mr X

______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm gonna guess it's your intake leaking that's causing it to idle so high. I made a few intakes and it's always been the problem. Check and double check it for leaks, just might be the problem.:thumbsup:
you were right, i found a little hole in the intake manifold. there is probably more in there too so i covered the welds with jbweld to seal it alittle better. i guess im going to have to find a curved piece of pipe and make a new adapter so there is welds only at the flanges. that way there will be less chance of leaks.
tomorow when the jb weld dries im gonna try it again.

Looks good.

I want to build something so bad but I just cant swing it right now with other projects and limited funds in the way.

I made an intake manifold for my Blastard project and was wondering about leaks and thought maybe kreem would seal the intake inside and out.

I may just plate my manifold off and pressure test it.

Mr X

so i put the engine together after sealing the manifold and ran the engine. it idles too fast when the choke is turned on but gets really good response and sounds good. when i turn the choke off the idle is proper but from idle if i give it full throttle the engine bogs badly and i can see alittle bit of fuel spray out of the carb. once the engine spools up abit it works fine and accelerates good. and the plug is a dark colour after a high rpm run.

the carb is a 22mm mikuni as seen in the pics. so im wondering what it could be? i drilled the main jet to 115 size but everything else is stock. i know its running lean but what controls engine response at low rpms?

Mr X

so ive been doing some work on the bike so i can finally test ride it. i mounted the front fender, gas tank, chain tensioner and all the stuff so i can ride it around and tune the engine. i also made the foot pegs fold and made a new header and port matched the flange to the exhaust port so it flows better.

i also had to remake the intake manifold. i did a really bad job making the first one and gas seemed to pool inside and give me trouble. now i made a new manifold and matched all the ports on both flanges and filed everything smooth so there is good flow. now the engine runs much better and is finally getting power. but there is still a problem i can figure out. after i give it full throttle the engine rpms slow down alot to a point where the engine almost dies. does anyone know what it could be? i drilled the pilot jet to #20 and it might be too rich, or maybe still too lean. can anyone suggest a way to check?

Mr X

pretty much. from idle if i give it full throttle for a second and then let off the engine goes to very slow idle, it almost dies.