Honda GC160 - Carb gasket reassembly assistance needed

Hi all,

I have a HONDA GC160 on a pressure washer. I want to get the carb put back on. Unfortunately when I took the air filter assembly off I took out the long bolts which dropped the plastic insulator and I cant find anything online as to where it needs to go back into the stack of items that the long bolts hold.

I did find a couple diagrams but my setup doesnt look the same. The insulator I have has a air passage, it looks to pull air from atmosphere and make it available through a gasket hole maybe? From what I can see from the other image is that it is to go between the engine and the carb, I wonder if the air passage on the insulator plate isnt used maybe?

This is my exact setup below.

P275HA.jpg

The insulator plate goes between the carb an block the air passage needs to be open if you put the insulator on right you will see the hole in the edge of it fits to the block that way if you put the other way its blocked thats wrong put it so its open an the other gaskets go the same way hope if i remember the air outlet is on the bottom right if your looking at it from front hope that helps havent worked on a honda in a little while im a briggs guy ...

The insulator plate goes between the carb an block the air passage needs to be open if you put the insulator on right you will see the hole in the edge of it fits to the block that way if you put the other way its blocked thats wrong put it so its open an the other gaskets go the same way hope if i remember the air outlet is on the bottom right if your looking at it from front hope that helps havent worked on a honda in a little while im a briggs guy ...
Thanks izzyizz. I will have a look again. I was looking earlier between the block and the carb, non of the gaskets have fallen out so they are all in place, I cant seem to find a gasket with the matching air hole though. I will have another look

Here's a parts diagram of the typical GC160. From the right (block side) to the carb. Note the order and arrangement of the pieces. This is what I've used to reassemble the whole she-bang. It's not easy to fit it all back together without a second set of hands.
Hi Doc,

Thanks for the image. I had found one like that but the issue I am having is with item #11. The insulator. It looks like gasket 12 is on the head, then insulator, gasket, plate.

On my engine when I look at gasket 13 to line up the hole on the insulator to the gasket hole, there is no gasket hole in #13. So if I was to place the insulator into that spot the air passage in the insulator would be useless. So I am a little stumped because of this. Wondering if the insulator on my engine is just used as a spacer?

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the image. I had found one like that but the issue I am having is with item #11. The insulator. It looks like gasket 12 is on the head, then insulator, gasket, plate.

On my engine when I look at gasket 13 to line up the hole on the insulator to the gasket hole, there is no gasket hole in #13. So if I was to place the insulator into that spot the air passage in the insulator would be useless. So I am a little stumped because of this. Wondering if the insulator on my engine is just used as a spacer?
You know, I'm not sure. Both of the GC engines I've worked on had the holes on #13. It's possible that you have the wrong gasket--there is one very similar that goes on the air filter side but without the hole. I do know that if this passageway is not set up properly you get a lot of surging (I had it wrong on the first engine I did). If you can post a pic of the carb and the rest of the "stuff" lined up next to it, I might be able to tell better.

You know, I'm not sure. Both of the GC engines I've worked on had the holes on #13. It's possible that you have the wrong gasket--there is one very similar that goes on the air filter side but without the hole. I do know that if this passageway is not set up properly you get a lot of surging (I had it wrong on the first engine I did). If you can post a pic of the carb and the rest of the "stuff" lined up next to it, I might be able to tell better.
Hi Doc,

I am having trouble getting the photos on my computer. Here is one so far.
IMG_20160524_210027.jpg

This is the 2nd gasket from the block. Currently if I was to bolt everything up without the insulator this gasket would be sitting on the block gasket and so I figure the insulator needs to go here. Maybe it some Canadian thing where the insulator just spaces it out but the air thing in the insulator doesnt do anything? I will try to get the engine side gasket up here

IMG_20160524_210100.jpg

Here is the engine side gasket. My finger is on the gasket from photo 1.

IMG_20160524_210124.jpg
IMG_20160524_210130.jpg

The gasket to the far right of the last photo also has the small hole to match the metal plate.

Last edited:
Forget all that! i just threw a 5hp Tecumseh engine and I used a giftcard as a gasket! but I suppose if you wana do it "Right" you should listen to the experts

Last edited:
Any ideas after those photos Doc?