honda GX120

I just got a stock honda GX120 4hp motor. I could use some advice on the most cost effective way to get it into the 6 to 8 hp range. I don't want to have to spend too much but will if I have to. Any advice is very welcome.

Hmmm.... I don't know of to many people that modify gx120s, usually the smallest engine that we use are 160s. Hearing this, most of the after market part sites are for 160s and up. Sorry, but a majority of your parts will have to be custom if you want to reach the 6-8 hp range. The only things that I could think of are to remove the governor and choke and get a TAV-2 for a your drive system.
*Note- The removal of the governor will get you more rpms (speed) not any horsepower.

Last edited:
Thanks, its really a just a get started motor for a go cart project for my eight year old son, we are going to rebuild it as father and son. I plan on getting something much bigger and performance oriented for a ruttman frame I am getting. I had a ruttman about 25 years ago and now regret letting it go. I am really liking these drag minibikes I am seeing, its giving me lots of Ideas.

thanks to all