Honda gx160 questions

Davis

Ok you can read plugs,thats great. Wear is the timing,fuelring and heat range at?
Timing is at 32 degrees and the rest I have no idea these are not drag bikes by any standard just mild clone bikes and they run ok around 50mph and I'm not trying to go faster I'm just trying to dial the jetting in.

Timing is at 32 degrees and the rest I have no idea these are not drag bikes by any standard just mild clone bikes and they run ok around 50mph and I'm not trying to go faster I'm just trying to dial the jetting in.
LOL...yeah buddy. It's a frikking lawn mower engine running at 7000 feet powering a damn Cat mini bike. As impressed as I am by the crop of Instant Mechanics shouting out Googled answers, I never forget that if I really wanted to go fast, I'd buy a 2001 Hyundai and reach blistering speeds of 90 MPH. I mean heck, that is faster than my 625 Horsepower Jet Boat would run. ;)

Remarks on heat range, timing and fuel ring have to do with plug reading, most of which is impossible and irrelevant on a lawn mower engine. Hint: It is very "Google" searchable, and no pit crew I was ever a part of bothered with it.

These aren't googled answers. What I had asked is not impossible to read off a plug,if you know how to read them. That's why I asked to post a pic of one to help out,thats all.

Davis

LOL...yeah buddy. It's a frikking lawn mower engine running at 7000 feet powering a damn Cat mini bike. As impressed as I am by the crop of Instant Mechanics shouting out Googled answers, I never forget that if I really wanted to go fast, I'd buy a 2001 Hyundai and reach blistering speeds of 90 MPH. I mean heck, that is faster than my 625 Horsepower Jet Boat would run. ;)

Remarks on heat range, timing and fuel ring have to do with plug reading, most of which is impossible and irrelevant on a lawn mower engine. Hint: It is very "Google" searchable, and no pit crew I was ever a part of bothered with it.
Ahh jet boat I miss those days.

trinik7597

What it boils down to is those autolites are a pain in the AZZ and some people swear by them but I hate em and see no gain ... Once you get a NGK you will be able to tune your bored SA carb .. elevation wise I would have asked Russel when ordering it what he recommended .. very knowledgeable guy .. and if I were you I still might give him a buzz just to get his input

Ahh jet boat I miss those days.
I had it when I was living in Tooele. (Hated that place) Had the engine built by a race boat engine guy in SoCal, dyno'd at 625 there, brought it to Utah, and spent a season trying to tune it. Finally moved down here, and put it back to original tune.

Can you imagine the plug reading technique used on a jet boat with over 600 HP? Start it, nail the throttle, get it to 8000 RPM, (70 MPH) and then shut it down. Yeah, that didn't work. Hard to read the plugs when the cyls are full of Utah Lake. :)

That's me in the background at Utah Lake, blasting past a 460 Ford. Ah those were the days.

Sorry for the diversion, but I thought I'd screw up your thread with inconsequential BS about boats, Utah, and 7000 feet of tuning FUN! :)

Rooster Tail.jpg

Davis

I had it when I was living in Tooele. (Hated that place) Had the engine built by a race boat engine guy in SoCal, dyno'd at 625 there, brought it to Utah, and spent a season trying to tune it. Finally moved down here, and put it back to original tune.

Can you imagine the plug reading technique used on a jet boat with over 600 HP? Start it, nail the throttle, get it to 8000 RPM, (70 MPH) and then shut it down. Yeah, that didn't work. Hard to read the plugs when the cyls are full of Utah Lake. :)

That's me in the background at Utah Lake, blasting past a 460 Ford. Ah those were the days.

Sorry for the diversion, but I thought I'd screw up your thread with inconsequential BS about boats, Utah, and 7000 feet of tuning FUN! :)

View attachment 96579
Oh no shit you lived in tooele it is kinda a shit hole my brother in law runs cows out there at the army depot. And you are right about tuning here I had a eliminator tunnel jet boat 450-475 ish hp but we only run on the mountain lakes like jordanell rockport etc so even higher and cold as hell but I sold it and bought a chaparral 256 open bow with a 420hp 496 and it runs out fair 55mph up here but not the 75mph I used to do.

Davis

What it boils down to is those autolites are a pain in the AZZ and some people swear by them but I hate em and see no gain ... Once you get a NGK you will be able to tune your bored SA carb .. elevation wise I would have asked Russel when ordering it what he recommended .. very knowledgeable guy .. and if I were you I still might give him a buzz just to get his input
Thanks I think I'll try and give him a call and pick his brain a bit.