Hoppy's "WTF" Build/Log

Looks like the 2012 buildoff got nuked and along with it my thread so I figured a new one was needed......and this be the section for it. I just ditched the snowblower track idea completely and the idea of two tracks outside the frame. Take away the cool factor of two tracks. I favor the idea of keeping this along the lines of a snowmobile drive setup. Gave myself a pep talk and got the cut off wheel out. WTF surgery.............................

cut the bottom back out to give me clearance for my track and the track itself is undergoing surgery also. have to make a 15"+ wide track 13"'s wide.:grind:
Since i have the old tunnel that all this came out of I took some measurmants and have some steel cut up for the rear frame that will hold the boogies and track in place to the rest of the machine. Should make a nice platform for some gear and or a box/bed. Im ditching the maxtourque and chain for a salsbury 500 series setup that I have. just need some pillow blocks to see where its going to end up. Certainly going to have to create some space and rethink a few other things but hey thats building. Rather cross these bridges now then later. So on with the build!:hammer:

Yoop I dont have exact dimensions but im guessing 4'. should leave me with approx 3-1/2' or so out the rear. She will be long....but im not trail riding and storage isnt an issue. If I didnt want to use the tunnel for a future project I would have just hacked the back end of that off and saved some work. Cant do that though.....so frame it out it is. Probably only need a frame of 1"x1" with some braces and then beef up where it will mount to the main body. As of right now im not concerned with power to the track. This isnt new technology in fact many of the old pre 70's sleds were rear small 4cyl driven. It will move faster then I can walk.....and hopefully haul some equipment doing it.

Last edited:
yes sir. just finished ordering some bearing pillow blocks for the switch over to a salsbury setup. Should have those mid week. Been working on the track frame alittle bit. the track assy will bolt right on and off for the most part. I will have to pull the drive shaft to remove the track assy completely. Shouldnt take more then 1/2 hour to take it from tires to track. I wish I had a machine shop and unlimited supply of steel. Progress is slow but I just dont have it all at home.

Well.....what can I say?Its a SLOW project. Phase #1 test run this evening. She moves out pretty well. Plenty fast enough for me anyways. Few mods since my last post. Ditched the centrifigul clutch for the TAV. Modified the front spindles to allow for bigger tires up front. She sits nice and level now.

Thanks yoop. Ive been MIA. Baby due in about two weeks! Just been so busy with work, and life in general. Midnight blue will be the body color.

Thanks buckeye!

Qusetion for those who know anything about ATV tires................................
went to go out to the barn this morning and rear tires didnt hold air over night. These are 22x8x10 AMS Swamp fox tires. On the side it says "use bead lock rim". I bought 10x7 steel wheels. Can be used on whatever. WHen they say "use beadlock rim"......do they mean like they use on rock crawlers? Actual beadlock rims?? The tires and rims are new, were taken to a tire store yesterday for mounting. It took the guy a few minutes and I was out of there. Didnt notice any air loss until I went to ride it this morning. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hoppy, when I worked as a mechanic :doah: we used a brush on glue to seal and lock the bead mostly on aluminum rims :shrug: I would go back to where you had them mounted and see if they can do that :shrug:

Harley....I see they used a black glue. Im starting to think I have the wrong tire/rim combo. Im pretty sure when they said "beadlock" they mean actuall beadlock rims. Might have to get me some differant tires as finding beadlock rims in a 4on4 pattern I dont believe is an option.

Get some rings cut and welded on. They do it on fullsize all the time. My beadlocks on my truck are diy'ers. Get a hold of a company that does em and see if you can get the inside pieces they cut out. May be the perfect size....:wink: