Hound/Hot Dog handlebar fitment???

Can someone please tell me how they accomplished the fitment and pull back of the round rod or tube handlebars into the square tube of these mini bikes? It seems to me if you just angled them in and welded you would not get enough material in there for it to be a very strong junction.

Example:
bata6ege.jpg

That's an actual company made bike and not homemade? I've never seen a square tubed bike. Looks like Gilson wheels too.

Speaking of Hotdogs, Did you know Stellar made Hot Dog karts? It's true. And Garden Tractors. I should have a picture of the Garden Tractor soon.

I've seen several Grattan Hound Dogs and Hot Dogs here in the forums and I like them a lot and would like to copy and build the frame myself. They all have the same style of forks and handlebars. It's a really easy frame to copy but I don't quite get the handlebars is all. The picture I posted above may be either an early Grattan or homemade but it doesn't matter. It was just the best view I could find to show the angle of the handlebars from the forks.

You're probably right. I usually try to make things more difficult than they need to be. :surrender:

I used to work with engineers, I'm used to them making torquing a single bolt into a week long process.

On something that might see high speed use or jumped like a dirtbike yeah I might sleeve and plug weld it. Honestly in that case I would just cope the top of the forks and run a solid tube across the top instead of a 3 piece job.

Last edited: