How do I ship a Rupp frame & wheels Cal. to New York ?

Can anyone here tell if they know the best way to ship a Rupp frame and wheels from California to New York state ? Any guess of the approx. cost ?Thanks in advance !:confused:

I would take the wheels off and the forks/handlebars off and put them in the smallest box packed safely. Then I would find the nearest,easiest place that ships and get a quote. I am assuming the buyer is paying shipping. If so tell them the quote and if they think they can get a lower price. Give them the measurements of the box and weight then tell them to figure it out. And if it is not out of your way you will drop it off.

I would take the wheels off and the forks/handlebars off and put them in the smallest box packed safely. Then I would find the nearest,easiest place that ships and get a quote. I am assuming the buyer is paying shipping. If so tell them the quote and if they think they can get a lower price. Give them the measurements of the box and weight then tell them to figure it out. And if it is not out of your way you will drop it off.
Thank you ! yes the buyer pays shipping cost. UPS or ? any idea who is the best price once I box it up ?

When I shipped my last years build off drag bike, it was $140 to ship. I had built a crate for it, everything except the engine, and used Fedex... Got there with no issues.

Ask the buyer. If they can do Greyhound, it would probably be cheaper.

markus

maybe this will help a little:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/82200-bike-shipping-tips.html

I've done Rupp frames the same way you have to get the frame down to the shortest it can be (take off shocks and pivot swing and remove forks) you have to keep the box as short as it can be or you go "oversize" and the price jumps to and astronomical amount. you should be able to put it all in one box, but you really dont want to get it too heavy......thats when they get pushed off the side of trucks, dragged, rolled, etc. during shipping.

to get an estimate on price you will need weight (add weight for box and packing materials), box size (in the case of my method 18x18xframe length at longest point + 1-2") and to and from zip codes on the shippers website (choose one that you can get to....for example I wont use Grayhound as an option since the closest place to me it like 30 miles and I have to sit and wait to ship). Fedex usually always comes in the cheapest for me, I also have an account with them which gets me a little bit more of a discount.

dont forget to factor in the cost of packing material and the box/s.

cheapest way is usps. you can go up to 80 lbs or something like that so your good there. the challenge is to fit it in the smallest box possible. you shouldnt have much trouble with just a frame and wheels. but you should be able to get it here for around $65. if you keep it under that size threshold. You can use the shipping calculator on their site to make sure youre in the clear as far as size. Youll have to make the box up custom for it i usually get a couple boxes from a bicycle shop to work with.