How do U groove tires?

lol your gonna end up using the circ saw . I tried making a grover with a big soldering iron and a homemade blade clamped on. it kinda sorta worked till the blade broke. but it wasnt quick or easy. rubber is not easy to work with tools that arnt designed for it
YEAH I knowit :shrug: Heat is just a nooo way... :laugh: Unless I had something about 5,000 degrees so I can just erase the shit with the wave of my hand... I aint tryin to sit there melting rubber for 90 hours.. :laugh:

Theres a sawzall with a buncha blades at a local online auction ends tomorow.. I might buy that... I need one anyways.. Maybe I'll see how good it ruins tires.. :laugh:

:eek:hmy: JEBUS Criminy... :facepalm: I never thought of that.. The Mac is a bit of a handful, but the little poulan micro might actually work... :glare:

Park it in front of a wall, and let 'er rip! Like those silly burnout contests at Daytona bike run. :laugh:
I need treads left.. I just wanna remove certain ones.. :laugh:

OH yeah... the mud tires on Denny Dales truck started out 44 inch super swampers.. I'd have to ask but I bet they lost 100 pounds of tire each easy... Like 2 or 3 ROWS of tread completely missing, in between each ONE band that is still left..

The treads START OUT life, maybe 2 inches tall.. By time the NOT ONLY tread is gone, BUT probably an inch or two of TIRE TIRE... You know?? Tire is worn bald... then cut it TWO MORE inches deep.. Until ytou can see the white cords coming out of tire.. :eek:hmy:

Thats how you know you are deep enough.. :eek:hmy:

But now his tires got treads like 4 or 5 inches tall, that are spaced 8 or 10 inches apart, more like a sand paddle.. and let me tell ya.. THOSE mother:censure:s HOOKUP!!

Then ya run bead lockers and 5 pounds of air preasure.. with %85 of the tires tread and sidewalls missing, and it's like a big ole sand paddle beach ball spinning 135 miles per hour and GOT DAMN!! does the mud fly.. :laugh:

I never been there till now.. This is their website for the mud trucks... The scrapyard guys have the 66 chevy thats narrowed down, at the moment. there was a copper colored fiberglass S-10, like a Purple one before that, black one before that I think..

Home

They've been running the 66 for a couple years now.. Cody (the son) has rolled it twice, and I guess there's videos of that.. I'll try and find em, I'd like to see it anyways.. :laugh:

well... I think a sawzall with a real narrow blade, just the right length would be best... :mellow:

I HAD a china-freight battery powered jigsaw, that never lasted one battery.. :glare: IT was working GREAT until it blew up.. The blade didn't have quite enough length to lop off the entire tread, but it got most of it.. :shrug:

I ended up using a steak knife.. Hot steak knife, lubed steak knife.. Lubed steak knife, a little oil or water worked pretty good for fine trimming..

I tried the circular saw but could see that was gonna be a big disaster and a leaky tire.. :laugh:

Chainsaw was about out of gas, it would die on it's side, and I said :censure: all that noise.. This is worse than the skill saw.. :laugh:

Best progress I could make was slice off as much of the tread as I could with the neighbors sawzall, then trim it down flat with a steak knife.. I did quite a lot of the tire by hand with steak knife only, but MY GOD what a dilemma...

BUT I'm gonna go pick up some different blades for ole boys sawzall tomorrow maybe.. something about the size of a double sized jigsaw blade, made to cut metal would be IDEAL!!! Then I can finish the tire and do the other with more ease......
I decided.. I want to keep one entire line of treads.. the ones pointing backwards, so they act as a scoop... Or a paddle... I thought of removing the entire other band of treads, but figured it would roll more of a clip-clop fashion, instead of a smooth roll. PLUS it would wear out the treads on the road a lot faster..

SO I decided to leave one tread right down the center of the tire.. I'm glad I did because that one would be even harder to get to.. :doah:

BUT... coming from the side of the tire, I could get between the treads, and slice off the unwanted treads..

Before.... Carlisle Turf SAVER Out of closet ... Stuff plugs the treads and they become slicks..

after removing two and two half tread bars and opening up a hole that will clean out...

Carlisle Turf KILLERS!! :scooter:

Last edited:
YEAH it works WAY better.. :eek:hmy: I took it out last night just in the driveway.. The baldy Turd Savorer had a light duty tire chain on it, then just this thing about %85 completed, and it goes like a bitch in like 1 or 2 inches of driveway snow... I threw the light duty chain on this tire, and a heavier chain on the Turd Eater tire, and was DOZERINNG some deep ass yard snow for a basic test.. It was pushing snow with the front end and clobbering through it..

I built one of two super chains last night too, and went and got some wood today.. Theres some better pics in the Killdozer thread.. I had to use the winch (break the cable a few times) and everything.. :doah:

looks good man. i took my riding tractor out to play in the snow yesterday. its got chains on the back and turf saves on the front. doesnt turn At all. I put chains on the front still nothing. guess that one just doesnt like winter. no worries. my build-off machine will be happy to play

I put my foot against the front tire and give myself 3 wheel drive, it's just enough to help.. :wink: My fronts are the fairly narrow good year diamond studded tread, so they hook pretty good..

A guy i know that does the small tractor pulls (Old Cub Cadets) uses flapper discs on a 4 1/2" angle grinder to to remove tread from the tires and to cut different tread patterns out of the existing tread, he said that it works great!!

A guy i know that does the small tractor pulls (Old Cub Cadets) uses flapper discs on a 4 1/2" angle grinder to to remove tread from the tires and to cut different tread patterns out of the existing tread, he said that it works great!!
Haha... just smells kinda funny.:grind: