How fast is your mini bike

MJL

My longest straight away is only around 150 yards before I have to hit the brakes. With a mildly built 196 on a Baja frame and my 230 lbs, I can hit 35mph (gps). and it is still pulling. I’d guess it’d do 40-45 mph with some more runway and the current gearing. Maybe 50 with a sprocket change, as I have it geared low for hills.

I hear that if you change your speedo app to kph, you‘ll go faster!

joshua. c.

The only verified speed i ever got was with a radar gun and it was mid 20s in 100 feet at the leadfoot mini bike drags in East Providence Rhode Island. This was with the bike in my avatar and It was years ago before some major upgrades. My bike was never geard right for that event and It had bearly begun to accelerate. best guss 40 mph top end back then. I'd like to clock this bike properly this summer after I install the new pvl flywheel I just picked up. I miss those mini bike drags they were so fun.

My new bike should blow my old one clean out of the water (Modified Briggs Animal). I'll have to clock this one once I get the jetting right.

I've confirmed 55 on a flat road on my Fox with GPS. I've confirmed 48 with a car trailing me. Damn thing was terrifying to ride at that speed. 12/15/15/54 gearing. I kept the jackshaft so I can play with gearing and possibly go to a 2 speed clutch in the future. Anyway, on the current gearing with the 15.4" tall tires, that's 5400 RPM to hit 55. To hit 75 I'd have to pull 7400 RPM, about where the valves would float. Arguably possible, not terribly likely with my largeness on it unless I'm going downhill. I'd worry about the engine block at that RPM as well.

Bike has an ungoverned and modded Briggs model 13.

I have a 228 stroker on the little mm80 frame, have only gone a hair over 50 so far but i run out of straight/flat road(se ky) and was only turnin 6k or so, cam should rev on out to 7500ish. The monkey is cammed and tweaked a bit too, high 60's but i think if i tuck and take a good dump that day i can hit low 70's. lol I haven't found the top end on the xr1200 yet, but did run it up to about 6400 in 5th which is close enough for me lol IMG_0335.JPG

The only verified speed i ever got was with a radar gun and it was mid 20s in 100 feet at the leadfoot mini bike drags in East Providence Rhode Island. This was with the bike in my avatar and It was years ago before some major upgrades. My bike was never geard right for that event and It had bearly begun to accelerate. best guss 40 mph top end back then. I'd like to clock this bike properly this summer after I install the new pvl flywheel I just picked up. I miss those mini bike drags they were so fun.

My new bike should blow my old one clean out of the water (Modified Briggs Animal). I'll have to clock this one once I get the jetting right.
Are these drags still going on? I live in Attleboro Ma on the pawtucket R.I.line. Would be cool l check them out. Hoping to experience the massacre this year.

Are these drags still going on? I live in Attleboro Ma on the pawtucket R.I.line. Would be cool l check them out. Hoping to experience the massacre this year.
Sadly, they are not. An old age home was built near there and the cops pretty much shut it down. Finding another place to race has proven very difficult. If you know of any good spots, i know people would show up to race.

joshua. c.

The problem isnt the location, they are being to picky about the pavement. Gomas has been offerd as a location but they claimed the pavement was to rough. Its not! that place is smooth. The pavement is irrelevent to 90 percent of the participents, they could do this on dirt for all they care, only the 2 or 3 drag bike they have might have an issue at gomas ( I still think the pavement is good enough for them) if its a problem just don't bring them. The 100 + other participents would be just fine. hell The guy running gomas mini bike massacre should just hold his oun drags Im sure it would be a blast.

Last edited:
The problem isnt the location, they are being to picky about the pavement. Gomas has been offerd as a location but they claimed the pavement was to rough. Its not! that place is smooth. The pavement is irrelevent to 90 percent of the participents, they could do this on dirt for all they care, only the 2 or 3 drag bike they have might have an issue at gomas ( I still think the pavement is good enough for them) if its a problem just don't bring them. The 100 + other participents would be just fine. hell The guy running the mini bike gomas mini bike massacre should just hold his oun drags Im sure it would be a blast.
You are dead wrong on this. The unlimited bikes are a completely different class of bikes and you have no idea what you are talking about in this regard.

joshua. c.

but again everyones fun is being held back over only 3 or 4 bikes, run the drags someware rougher for everyone else untill you find a better option.

joshua. c.

also if an entry fee is charged you can save up the money to re pave a section of worse pavement for the drag bike later. so the event without the drag bike funds the return of the drag bikes win win. considering there are no drags now anyways yourn not loosing anything buy trying this idea.