How many 6.5HP Doodle Bugs are out there?

I'm trying to get an idea of how many 6.5HP Doodle Bug swaps are running around.

I also need to have an understanding of how many different ways the swap is performed & how this affects engine placement in the frame.

It sounds like most folks drill the original engine mount plate on the bike & then bolt up the engine. I have also seen that a member of this forum has put together a swap kit that has some form of motor mount included.

Please edjumakate me on the finer points of the Doodle Bug swap.

Thank you
~JM~

Our DB story.

As found for $100, sold engine two days later making the frame real cheap.

Added a 6.5 Champion and Tav 30 . the engine mount holes on the left just needed widening to the right slightly, tweeked the old style tav plate to fit without raising the engine. Alignment is perf.

Went on to other bike projects but when I get back to it the engine will be slightly hopped up and stripped of crap on top might do a round tank on top of a KABOOM plate to protect the rider from a flying rod, engine mount will get another plate welded to the original for strength before paint.

Also lowered the fenders because I just couldn't stand it. (think I was the first here to do that)

We drive it about every 3-4 days with zero issues and it's pretty fast already .

Last edited:
I've converted 2 bikes for myself. The red one has been running trouble free since last December and finished my custom orange DB-30 last April. The bikes are fast, fun and pretty cheap.

No grief chopping them up :grind: :hammer: :hack: :weld:

I have sold about 10 6.5hp DB's and at least 12 engine kits. All the members who have bought the bikes or kits love them.

I go with the adapter plate. Making a plate (I have a pattern) takes about 30minutes. The mini's I have been working with have 4 slots in the engine mount plate. I'm sure if you clamp the engine properly and carfully drill and slot new holes while maintaining proper chain alignment that would work fine. GTO lucked out that the "older" style DB's have 8 slots and apparently not much modifications are required to install the larger engine without much :hack: I don't have any experince with these frames.

ive got one i'm building up, snagged an adapter plate off cjtmini, worked like a charm. been experimenting with an all chain jackshaft setup but not too happy with the gearing ive tested using a MaxTorque TT cent. clutch.

next i'm going to rob the TAV off my Lil Indian and give that a go on the DB. just wish there were different sprockets readily avail for the rear. i'd like a 55 out back. heres a pic, eventually it will be completely blacked out.

Just did mine yesterday. I plan on doing a write up on it here when I get the chance. I will post pics on how I did it. I just drilled the stock plate and it worked out fine.
For the ham fisted, the kit that is offered here would be the way to go.....

Motra

I put the TAV2 on mine which required a 3/4" spacer under the engine. I also ordered a gas tank from Baja Motorsports for the MB165 model so the filler would be accessable. Now I'm not sure the torque converter is worth the extra money and work involved. Others seem to be happy with the 6.5 engine alone.

I went to HF and asked if the 6.5 engines ever go on sale and he stated yes they do. Then he said let me look and see if they are. Turns out they were not on sale but he did say I can sell you one at sale price if you purchase right now. So I bought one. I drilled the mounting plate on the frame with the clutch sprocket on the inside of the shaft. The engine seems to be centered fairly well on the frame. I also installed a larger rear sprocket as this was the first mod attempted with the stock engine. With the larger sprocket I did not need to shorten chain but if I install stock sprocket I will need to shorten the chain. The throttle linkage was a combination of the stock and fabricated compononets. I also took a piece of 16 gage sheet metal and a bending brake to form the clutch guard.

Last edited: