How much hp can #35 chain take?

I see a lot of guys putting a 212 hemi predator on minibikes. They remove the governor and then mod them, add a cam, valve springs, etc for more power.
Just how much hp can a #35 chain take before it snaps?

Danford1

capguncowboy

1760 pounds - that's the tensile strength of #35 chain.

How much horse power can it take? That depends on gear ratios, weight of the bike/rider, size of the tires etc.

That being said, I don't think standard #35 chain will break under load from a modded clone engine. If you're really concerned, buy a better quality chain, such as RLV Gold, or go with a 40 or 41 chain instead

Last edited:
I ran a #35 chain on a Jr. Dragster with a Blockzilla making about 21 hp, running 8.90 in the 1/8th. The total weight of the car was about 350 pounds with the kid in the car. I use Diamond Brand chain. I replaced the chain as part of annual maintenance between seasons, I could never detect any stretch or damage on the chain I replaced. I reused the chain on my minibikes.

That being said, most teams are running larger chain these days, especially in the 7.90 groups. Broken chain = loosing.

I hope it helps,
Greg

CarPlayLB

I ran a #35 chain on a Jr. Dragster with a Blockzilla making about 21 hp, running 8.90 in the 1/8th. The total weight of the car was about 350 pounds with the kid in the car. I use Diamond Brand chain. I replaced the chain as part of annual maintenance between seasons, I could never detect any stretch or damage on the chain I replaced. I reused the chain on my minibikes.

That being said, most teams are running larger chain these days, especially in the 7.90 groups. Broken chain = loosing.
Holy Cow! Award winning minibike builder in the house!
Depends on the quality of the chain. Buy EK or RLV and never give it a second thought! Prob go to 20HP with that. Buy cheap China stuff, prob go to 3 HP!

capguncowboy

Holy Cow! Award winning minibike builder in the house!
Depends on the quality of the chain. Buy EK or RLV and never give it a second thought! Prob go to 20HP with that. Buy cheap China stuff, prob go to 3 HP!
Awww, no love for the Chinese chain? I run that cheap stuff on my stock bikes and it holds up just fine, but I wouldn't run it on anything putting out 10+ HP

Good question as I've had the same question and have been wondering. From what I've read here, there is no reason to ever upgrade. Just seems unnecessary and your loosing money to add more rotating mass.

Damn I like that. My 70lb son broke a master link on a 2.5up motovox. I was baffled how that happened and chalked it up to a freak accident. The ride/push home sucked. That alone makes want to consider eliminating them.