How the hell can it run great with no intake system?

KB2ROCKET

I was shopping on ebay useing the search words " engine runs " and i saw a whole bunch of motorcycle type engines advertized to run great/strong ect. And all of them have no carbs or intake of any kind. How do all these people get all these engines to run with no intakes? And what is so attractive about keeping the carb?:shrug:

RobK

I have to assume they mean it was in good running condition when it was removed from the bike. Perhaps the carbs are valuable and easy to sell separately.

TomH

Engine runs...can mean anything from engine runs... with a big hole in the side of the block, to a brand new engine with nothing wrong with it. General rule I use is, if I can't hear it run, I am not going to pay very much for it. If pieces are missing, like the carburetor, the engine doesn't run..It might pop and sputter if it is shot with starting fluid, but about all that tells ya is it isn't seized. It still probably needs an overhaul.

I had a 74 mustang.

I had the carb off to rebuilt it and had done some other work.
I hopped in the seat and crank it over to check everything and suddenly it started to sputter and run.
Not well but I was completely stunned since I could see the carb on the work bench.

Then something realy wierd happened the engine began to race and went to the red line,
I could smell gasoline too.
It screamed and I mean it sounded awsome with the roar of the air rusing into the open intake and all.....

Then I saw flames......

Turned out the golf T I jambed in the fuel line had popped out and it was spraying gasoline all over the place.

Car indeed apeared for a little while at least to run realy good.....

I love it when people tell me, "it'll run, it ran good about 30 years ago when I put it in the garage". No :censure:, anything will run with enough work.