How to Make a Stinger Exhaust Pipe

I posted this as a response to a question in the classified section. It was a bunch of typing so I thought it might fit well here as a thread.

I made the pipe from some 1 5/8" tubing from the rems bin. Its flared a bit over an inch. Here's a quick explanation... If there is interest, I'll make another one, take pics, and do a tech thread.

First cut, to make the proper length, was made in the chop saw. Moving over to the bench, I chucked the tubing in the vise, and made a pie-cut with the plasma torch. Make sure not to cut across the whole tube, leave a few inches uncut at one end. Paper towel tubes are a good medium to practice your measuring/cuts. Be very careful if you try this with a grinder and cutting wheel, steel tubing has mucho kinetic energy and will spring open when you get to the end of your first cut.

Once I made the pie cut, I cleaned up the plasma slag and headed back to the vise. Here's where things get interesting... Now you can just squish the piece together in the vise and weld it back up, you will however end up with an out of round piece. I like to start at the closed end (the "point" of the pie cut) first, applying just enough pressure with the vise to be able to tack weld the seam closed. After you get a few welds holding the seam, you can play around with the shape.... The tubing will be out of round from the "twisting" motion of the steel and the removed material from the cuts, as you close the gap. Pay attention to the "roundness" of the tubing and adjust the piece in the vise to get the profile you're after. Take your time and don't apply too much pressure with the vise, cause wasting tubing and time sucks.

After you get a nice round cone shape, you get to fit the exhaust flange. This is where all the time spent shaping helps. I used the flange off an old Briggs muffler and welded it in the small end of the cone. This pipe will make your engine as loud as possible and even throw a little flame when you get off the throttle. If you like your neighbors, or just don't like the dealing with John Law, now would be a good time to fit a baffle.

As for the holes I just laid out a half inch spaced grid on the last two inches of the pipe, and started drilling for about seventeen years... There are 36 holes on mine, and they each got drilled twice. These holes serve no purpose other than looking neat and to let your friends know that you have way to much time on your hands.

I'll be honest with ya, it took longer to type up the description than it did to make the piece. (except the drilling) Very simple project. Give it a try and post some pics of your results!!

Simply awesome Nick!!!!!!! I love the look of it!!! Your too modest man that is sweet! Maybe its easy if ya havnt done it!!!:thumbsup::laugh:

Simply awesome Nick!!!!!!! I love the look of it!!! Your too modest man that is sweet! Maybe its easy if ya havnt done it!!!:thumbsup::laugh:
Its really quite easy, just ask yourself a few questions...

1. Do I have a grinder and cut off wheel. :grind:
2. Do I have a vise? :drinkup: :girl:
3. Do I have a welder? :weld:
4. Can I scrounge up a hunk of tubing? :hack:

If you can sort all that out, then you'll have no trouble making one of these pipes. Figure out the dimensions on some paper towel tubes and then put it in steel. Worst case... you burn up a couple feet of $4 metal and learn a thing or two. Best case... you make a RAD exhuast and learn a thing or two.

Check out this video of the little 2 horse Briggs gettin a little exercise. Sure wish you guys could smell the 110 race gas! I want to figure out a way to catch the fire coming out the pipe soon too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXr8etRLnuw

:pimp:

Last edited:
That little engine sounds pretty neat. Good work. I wish i could find a cheap welder. I just bought a 6.5 Harbor Freight engine it's gonna need an exhaust.

This is so cool, I am going to have to make one of these for my Taco.
What kind of finish is on your pipe?

HT
The finish is just generic rattle can enamel, cheap dollar store type stuff a neighbor gave me. I was geting impatient to hear how it sounded so I went for ride and baked the paint on while it was still wet. Its holding up ok, except for a couple inches of flaking at the flange. The cheap stuff is only on there for rust protection. I'm going to strip it down and shoot it with BBQ paint or exhaust paint. All depends if I end up at the hardware store or the auto parts store.

The finish is just generic rattle can enamel, cheap dollar store type stuff a neighbor gave me. I was geting impatient to hear how it sounded so I went for ride and baked the paint on while it was still wet. Its holding up ok, except for a couple inches of flaking at the flange. The cheap stuff is only on there for rust protection. I'm going to strip it down and shoot it with BBQ paint or exhaust paint. All depends if I end up at the hardware store or the auto parts store.
Cool, I didn't even think about BBQ paint, the exhaust on my other go-kart bakes the paint of as fast as I can put it on. I will definitely have to give this a try.

thanks,HT

Today during Metal Shop at school I made a stinger pipe and it looks pretty sweet! Thanks so much for showing us how to do this. All my friends thought it was the coolest idea.

The pipe I used already had holes running long ways down the pipe but oh well, it was a freebie off the remnant rack.

I used the plasma to cut the wedge shape and then the vice and anvil to bend it back to shape. I had a friend MIG it back together because I stink at MIG, I can TIG WAY better but some other kid was using it. Plus, I had a few gaps that wouldn't have TIG'd up very well.

After I got home, I used my Dad's plasma cutter and made a flange to bolt onto the 5HP Briggs engine. Then I used our MIG and welded the pipe to the flange. Right now it is a straight pipe, but I am going to put a stainless steel spark arresting screen in. Where I live it gets very dry in the summer and wildfires are a very distinct possibility.

I will post pics tomorrow, I don't feel like going out in the snow to get some pics tonight.

HT

Today during Metal Shop at school I made a stinger pipe and it looks pretty sweet! Thanks so much for showing us how to do this. All my friends thought it was the coolest idea.

The pipe I used already had holes running long ways down the pipe but oh well, it was a freebie off the remnant rack.

I used the plasma to cut the wedge shape and then the vice and anvil to bend it back to shape. I had a friend MIG it back together because I stink at MIG, I can TIG WAY better but some other kid was using it. Plus, I had a few gaps that wouldn't have TIG'd up very well.

After I got home, I used my Dad's plasma cutter and made a flange to bolt onto the 5HP Briggs engine. Then I used our MIG and welded the pipe to the flange. Right now it is a straight pipe, but I am going to put a stainless steel spark arresting screen in. Where I live it gets very dry in the summer and wildfires are a very distinct possibility.

I will post pics tomorrow, I don't feel like going out in the snow to get some pics tonight.

HT
You can put some (very little) steel wool and it will work pretty well, just make sure there is enough exhaust flow.

I think her comment is "im a dick, and I have to put someone else down so I can feel good, and you can check out all of my other posts to see how much of a dick i really am." Sums it up.
I think its funny myself... Yes, as a matter of fact I do run my mini bike on 110 octane fuel... the leaf blower and hedger trimmer too.

Some of the posts I've seen on this site would get you rail roaded from other forums I belong to. Besides, I'm the one with a 2 hp mini that does better then 30 MPH... what do I really care about a silly comment?

What I want to see is HT's pics of the pipe they made yesterday!!!

I use the same trick Nick to make inrtake manifolds and exhaust parts.

This lets me neck down heavy wall pipes and hydraulic fittings so I can shape and form them.

Then I follow up the the die grinder to port match.

I like your stinger pipe.
Jessie although abrasive is right about the fuel thing. On a flat head witrh no significant modifications the high octane ( probably leaded ) is not going to make more power and may even rob you of a little.
The pipe you made however is very nice and look slike it would flow nice and free. Your not the first around hre to make such a pipe but you did a nice job and openly talk about how you did it...
Good on you spreading help.

I think its funny myself... Yes, as a matter of fact I do run my mini bike on 110 octane fuel... the leaf blower and hedger trimmer too.

Some of the posts I've seen on this site would get you rail roaded from other forums I belong to. Besides, I'm the one with a 2 hp mini that does better then 30 MPH... what do I really care about a silly comment?

What I want to see is HT's pics of the pipe they made yesterday!!!
not sure if 110 will give a any more power or run better in stock motors . but hey its no worse then me getting pissed off at the weed wacker ,and putting nitro methane race fuel in it . ya putting nitro rc car fuel in the weed wacker mix is a interesting thing . it runs funny and is it ever pissed off , but nice power sounds cool too . it really ripped the over growth down in a hurry:devil2: .

and ya lets see the pipe ht

Here is my stinger exhaust.

I left about 3 inches or the tip uncut so instead of a constant taper it has a taper to a large barrel shape. The pipe itself is pretty big at 2 inches in diameter so I can't wait to see how it sounds.

This morning my Dad and I welded up the holes, they were angled right at the carb and gas tank. I didn't want hot exhaust blowing on them, plus it would get the clean engine dirty really quick.

By the way, in the pic, it looks like the pipe is angled down, but it is just the camera being funky.

HT

not sure if 110 will give a any more power or run better in stock motors . but hey its no worse then me getting pissed off at the weed wacker ,and putting nitro methane race fuel in it . ya putting nitro rc car fuel in the weed wacker mix is a interesting thing . it runs funny and is it ever pissed off , but nice power sounds cool too . it really ripped the over growth down in a hurry:devil2: .

and ya lets see the pipe ht

haha I gotta try that:devil2:....what mix did you use? 20 or 30 percent?