Hs35 vs H35

What is the difference between a hs35 and h35. I have a rupp scrambler with an hs35 and I'm looking for a block.
So curious what I got to search for?

The 5 HP small frame vs the medium frame the intake and exhaust valves are reversed, but on the 3.5 they are the same.

The stroke is slightly different...1-27/64 small frame vs 1-15/16 large frame. 148cc vs 156cc. Both share the same bore.

Ok the rupp I'm working on has the original hs35 engine, intake on the recoil side, exhaust On the left out the back
I have an H35 motor (1975 square shroud) sitting on the bench that has the intake and exhuast the same way.

Ok the rupp I'm working on has the original hs35 engine, intake on the recoil side, exhaust On the left out the back
I have an H35 motor (1975 square shroud) sitting on the bench that has the intake and exhuast the same way.
Double check the engine. I don't think there's a such thing as hs35. It should be an h35. The block should be the same. Some h35 had a side exhaust called a side popper

Last edited:

markus

the blocks are the same between your 1970 and your 1975, so if all you need is the "block" you can retrofit your parts over to it. I dont think they changed the size of the bore where the crankshaft goes through the block to the larger size till the '80's. your blocks part number is 33077

there was never an "HS" designation used in that size.

There is a hs40 correct.. that was tje the original motor for my Arco colt I believe..
Yes, there's an hs40 and hs50 which where made later on (I think 69). They were labeled hs to designate between the big block versions of the 4hp and 5hp. I know the 5hp big block continued on but I'm not sure about the h40 (not too many around like other big blocks).

Your right..it's an h35. The 1975 I have on the shelf is a runner so I'd like to leave that be if I can just find a parts motor or block.
See rupp engines had a longer crankshaft so my engine with the bad block has those parts.