HS40 Carb running half choke

Hello All!
I just purchased a bike with an HS40 engine. My preliminary finding is it won't idle without the choke being half on. Also, it does accelerate right. The idle mixture screw does seem to have much affect on the running. The exhaust seems to get hot quick, so I assume I am running lean. I don't know the model number of the carb, but it does have a float and a long choke lever if that helps to identify it. Does this have an emulsion tube, could it be bad? I know just enough to get my self in trouble, any help would be appreciated.

:doah: Luke

I'd say off hand you have a vacuum leak ( having to run with choke on) I don't know how safe this is but I do it often :wink: Take a propane torch turn it on don't light it ...and get real close to intake and carb moving until the engine smooths out( do this with engine at idle) that will be where your vacuum leak is ...good luck

I'd check the intake system gaskets. Or, maybe just tightening the carburetor to the intake manifold OR tightening the intake manifold to the engine block is all it'll take.

it may also just be a matter of your adjustments and or a clogged idle fuel passage... screw the idle fuel out and stick the red tube on your carb cleaner can right in the hole and blast it like theres no tomorrow, just make sure not to get spayed because it will go every where... then reassemble and go back through your settings...