HS40 Crank part number?

I have a 71 Tecumseh HS40. I broke the threaded end off of the crankshaft:hammer:....(my own dumb ass fault)....I gotta get a new one....Can anyone tell me the Tecumseh part #.

markus

your engine should be model number 55388c for a roadster2 (that was the original engine on those). If it is, the crankshaft part number is 33080, Remember that when you tearing the engine down That there is a C clip BEHIND the large oil seal on the output side, you need to pry the seal out and remove the clip to get the sidecover off......or you may end up looking for a crankshaft AND sidecover :wink:

your engine should be model number 55388c for a roadster2 (that was the original engine on those). If it is, the crankshaft part number is 33080, Remember that when you tearing the engine down That there is a C clip BEHIND the large oil seal on the output side, you need to pry the seal out and remove the clip to get the sidecover off......or you may end up looking for a crankshaft AND sidecover :wink:
Thanks for the headsup

Markus,
Does the 1970 Rupp Roadster with the HS40 have this same C-clip arrangement? Does anybody have a photo of it? We are getting ready to open up our engine for a rebuild and ! certainly appreciate the information.
Michael

markus

If your engine is a 55282b it definitely was a ball bearing from the factory (1970 version roadster), It's possible the very early ones were bushing though if the number is different than above. Easiest way to tell though is simply look at the sidecover, I dont have any pics with the seal off but the engine on the left is Ball bearing and on the right is Bushing Just pop a hole in the seal wall and us a small prey tool to get it out and the clip is right there, Good set of snap ring pliers is all that needed.

Did have a photo on here of the shafts, you can see the groove for the clip

Thank you Markus- very much appreciated! Our 1970 HS40 is definitely a ball bearing sidecover with the clip based on the engine # and the photo you posted.
Michael

If your engine is a 55282b it definitely was a ball bearing from the factory (1970 version roadster), It's possible the very early ones were bushing though if the number is different than above. Easiest way to tell though is simply look at the sidecover, I dont have any pics with the seal off but the engine on the left is Ball bearing and on the right is Bushing Just pop a hole in the seal wall and us a small prey tool to get it out and the clip is right there, Good set of snap ring pliers is all that needed.

Did have a photo on here of the shafts, you can see the groove for the clip

Do you have a crankshaft for sale ?