hydraulic brake failed

While doing some tuning and of course high speed runs I went to stop and there was a pop from the rear. Going wayyyy to fast for the stop sign at a T intersection. Thank god no cars were coming and I managed a hard right and got it slowed down. Never thought about the kill switch although I was off the throttle and smoking both my scrub brakes, otherwise known as nikes. Well the ear snapped off the caliper which allowed the unit to rotate off the disc. Well now I'm in the market for a rear wheel to add front brakes to this machine.

I need to charge my tomtom and see just how fast this thing is after I order up a new caliper from Promod. Of course its hard to guess the speed but it's so fast I'm curious enough to try and get a gps reading.

just goes to show you shouldnt trust your life to mini bike brakes even if they are high dollar hydro units. Somthing you built in your shed is never going to be as reliable as somthing factory built with hundreds of hours of r&d and testing

Glad you're OK, I went back to stock cable actuated brakes long ago on my DBs. the hydraulic units are cheap china crap not too unlike the stock unit only the stock unit can only exert as much pressure as you can squeeze. The juice brake maser cylinder is more powerful than the caliper can take IMO, the guy I sold one of my DBs to broke the caliper about ten days after he got it from me. He got hurt and wasted the forks in the process, I fixed the forks and gave him a new manual brake system for free. Given what it cost me and him I would never use the juice brakes again. I've always liked the way the cable actuated brakes work when adjusted properly. The Baja Doodlebug disc brakes are the best stopping minibike brakes I've ever seen though, I have a DB wheel and disc brake on my Rat Bastard chopper and it stops on a dime. I also use a DB caliper on my swap meet trike sprocket, stops real nice too.

Last edited:
Not a db owner here but I would like to share.

I had One brake failure on a 165due to my own stupidity ( check twice before you ride after working on brakes ).
I lost the bolt that held the drum backing plate.

Not a good feeling seeing things come apart when you need them.
I have two brakes now one front one rear.
Both stock mechanical Baja brakes with Honda shoes in them.
More than double the stopping power when you think about it over a rear only system.

And mind your adjustments.....

I have had the hydro fail like that as well, and a friend of mine did to. I have had other problems with them falling apart, but was able to repair. They stop great, but definitely aren't as reliable the stockers.

Thanks for posting about failure, good to know. I haven't broken mine, but realized early on that they are not built for abuse. Breaking like that sounds pretty scary to me. :scared:

I still like them for street riding, but don't use them hard anymore. Dirt riding, the mechanical brakes are plenty IMO, especially if you are running the ProMod Jackshaft (you get a fair amount of engine braking).

If you want to use your brakes hard, consider converting to kart brake set-up, but be ready to spend some $'s. MCP makes a mini-lite calipher that would be perfect for a drag bike IMO. You can set-up for foot pedal or hand lever, but more $'s.

MCP Mini Lite Brake System | Brake Kits | Roberts Kart Shop