I am new to the sport and this forum, can you help me along please?

I am a long time muscle car restoration guy having restored my 1970 and 1966Chevells however, I am new to the minibike and go kart scene. I was so impressed by this forum and those that have posted here I elected to become a paid supporter.

I have a 9 and 10 year old grandson that I am trying to turn into gear heads by helping them with a project. I picked up a used DB-50 minibike and a Yearf Dog 2300 Go Kart, both of which needed a new engine.

After some research on this site I purchased two Harbor Freight Predator 212cc (6.5 hp) engines. In stead of just bolting on the engines and leaving it at that, I want to get each of them into the guts of the engine so I can teach them how an internal combustion 4 stoke engine works and how each engine effects performance. I remember starting out that way some 45 years ago when I took a small engine repair class in the 9th grade where we disassembled and reassembled a 4 stroke lawn mower engine.

I have read a number of posts on the forum discussing Honda clones, Predator 212s and specific Honda engines. However, as I surf the various vendors for performance parts/upgrades, some of the sites specify the parts are for Predator 212s while others indicate their parts are for Honda clones.

I am hoping someone can tell me which specific Honda engine the Predator 212 is suppose to clone? This would allow me to ensure I make the correct selection of upgrade parts, mild to wild, as we build up their engines.

Thanks in advance guys, think I may have found a new hobby.

Last edited:
I would recommend on opening up an engine side cover and valve cover and letting them see its simplicity. good explanation of whats going on might actually stick if you can keep their attention. Then re-assemble and let them ride and have fun, then buy mods and teach how and why and then they can help install and ride again and hopefully feel the difference the fruits of their labor provides. Mostly, they probably would just rather ride and hope grandpa dont bore them to long, that being said, ya gotta remember to make it interesting and fun for their short attention span.

Txpowdercoater, that's an excellent suggestion, I will do just that. Start simple, let them complete the projects and have some fun. Once they have a basic understanding of how things work I can expand on that by exploring the performance world with them.

To save me a post and future referance, can you tell me which Honda engine the Predator 212 clones?

Great idea my friend, thanks a million.

What is the (riding) experience level of the 9 and 10 year olds? In my opinion, that is way too much engine for young kids of that age, especially if they are inexperienced or even novice riders.
Michael

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup: This link has Predator specific racing parts Aftermarket Predator Parts But to tell you the truth I have 2 Predators and all I did was rejet the carb and add a header and that was more than enough for me and I have been riding for over 40 years :doah: and even the stock Predator we have scares the :censure: out of my 8 year old grandson :shrug: but my 7 year old granddaughter will run it wide open :laugh: here are links for the air filter,jet kit and header :thumbsup:
Upgraded GX200/Clone Air Filter Kit
Jet kit for Honda Clone engines
Performance headers for Honda Clones including BSP pipes.

All great comments guys. Both my grandsons have been riding Chinese quads in the California High Desert since the age of 4 and 5. I started them out with 50cc quads and upgraded them to 110cc quads at ages 7 and 8 and the 10 year old has a Chinese 110cc small motocross motorcycle.

I wouldn't characterize them as expert riders by any stretch of the imagine but they have both taken enough tumbles now to have a healthy respect for the machines and I provide them with the best safety gear available.

As I indicated in my original post, my goal with these projects is to get them into the mechanical end of things, engine, suspension, etc.. We have sat down and I had them each plan out their respective restoration projects. They have almost completely disassembled their machines, labeling part, taking photo documentation and making a parts lists as they go.

I am so excited to get to spend such quality time with them and see them take such an interest in their projects. My daughter is even using the projects as a bartering tool to get them to do their homework without an arm wrestling contest. I get to be the good cop and she has to be the bad cop hahaha.

I have rebuild a number of small and large block Chevy engines over the years, the latest of which was a 383 stroker for my 66 Chevelle and a balanced, blue printed, ported and polished 396 for my 70 Chevelle. However, these projects wouldn’t be possible without all of your collective support because I don’t know the first thing about minibikes and go karts.

I hope know one minds if my gransons post photos of their projects once they are done, along with their personal thanks to the members of the forum that will be helping then along as they go.

Welcome to the forum!
The harbor freight predator 212 that you buy today are kind of a honda clone but a lot of parts are their own. For example the flywheel is specifically a predator flywheel, but jets and exhaust are the same. Just do some reading or ask here before purchasing a part that doesn't fit. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here.

I am16 and berly started to get into this Ive always been into it but whole having my own tools is better, and fxing and breaking and fixing is fun, I actually bought my self a sbc350 just to understand them pretty simple I find it fun took it apart my self, no one in my household shares my interest so I try to teach myself and see what help I get online, your grandsons will be good with the knowledge you can pass on to them that's if they are even interested in it, there are people who just like to enjoy them others that enjoy them but want to know their stuff from bottom to top like me very curious and enjoy it.
:thumbsup:

I did a similar thing with a group of kids. I teach third grade, and I wanted to give kids a crash course in the internal combustion engine as well. I had six 8-9 year old boys stay after school, and we installed a FT piston, billet rod, 14cc head, cam, carb, etc. It was a blast! I would also suggest teaching basic science concepts such a friction, torque, and gear ratio. Legos are great tools for these lessons, and a 10 speed bike is great for gear ratio.

65ShelbyClone

I hope know one minds if my gransons post photos of their projects once they are done, along with their personal thanks to the members of the forum that will be helping then along as they go.
I think most people here would appreciate that rather than mind it. :thumbsup:

To save me a post and future referance, can you tell me which Honda engine the Predator 212 clones?
The 212cc Predator is not really a direct Honda copy anymore. Things started out with a clone of the 196cc Honda GX200 and then, for whatever reason, several things were tweaked like the flywheel, cam, bore size, etc. The very latest Predators have a hemisherical chamber and canted valves now, but the head will still bolt onto a GX200 or 196cc clone. There is still a lot of mix 'n' match potential, but you have to know which parts fit and which do not. It's easier to buy 212cc Predator-specific parts IMO.