I hate johhny toiletson!

CarPlayLB

I hate Johnny Tillotson. He always gets the good motors...and the deals. Because of him, I am looking for stuff now! And whaddya know? look what I got! So there, Johnny TOILETson! Put that in your pipe and smoke it with your camo Crocs! I dunno even why I bought this, other than it has nearly no run time, is as clean as a whistle, came with the correct air filter, tank mount, aluminum mount, header, and is a beauty! I believe this to be a West Bend 580 as it has a steel bore that the 700 does not have.

CarPlayLB

Is that the one from eBay? I was on the fence about it for a bit but decided against it... now you're making me regret it :(
Yuup! But not THE one from eBay. I promise you never saw this one on eBay! I saw this minutes after it was listed for a stOOpidly low price with free shipping. Told the wife "this is too good to be true" at $49.99 with free shipping! Thought I stole it...until I get the message..."I made a mistake and listed the wrong engine" and my money was refunded. Initially I was pissed, but then I came to my senses...sent a very nice email inquiring about how much they wanted for it. Very nice lady gave me a price and told they would have a "buy it now" price. She emailed me back and even asked if I was online yet! I gave her the go signal and I bought it! Got a deal on it!

Yuup! But not THE one from eBay. I promise you never saw this one on eBay! I saw this minutes after it was listed for a stOOpidly low price with free shipping. Told the wife "this is too good to be true" at $49.99 with free shipping! Thought I stole it...until I get the message..."I made a mistake and listed the wrong engine" and my money was refunded. Initially I was pissed, but then I came to my senses...sent a very nice email inquiring about how much they wanted for it. Very nice lady gave me a price and told they would have a "buy it now" price. She emailed me back and even asked if I was online yet! I gave her the go signal and I bought it! Got a deal on it!

You fell for that old ruse?...that motor is filled with sand.

CarPlayLB

You fell for that old ruse?...that motor is filled with sand.
Hahaha...this motor is clean! KK you know how ugly these 2 smokes get when ya run 'em...ucky oil and gas everywhere! This motor is clean and has the straight shaft. The motor on eBay right now has a weird tapered shaft that I have never seen before. Must have been on a pump or something like that. Mine has the straight shaft.
I may need your help too! The starter pawls do not catch the cup...can't even hear those guys hittin it! Obviously there are different cups...happen to know which one I need?

Hahaha...this motor is clean! KK you know how ugly these 2 smokes get when ya run 'em...ucky oil and gas everywhere! This motor is clean and has the straight shaft. ..
I meant it's filled with sand on the inside!!

I may need your help too! The starter pawls do not catch the cup...can't even hear those guys hittin it! Obviously there are different cups...happen to know which one I need?
That's the Fairbanks Morse recoil on there...that's the one everybody wants. Those starter pawls will make you nuts on these things. It's probably the correct one but not functioning properly. Whatever you do, DO NOT OIL IT. There are a couple of fiber discs and a pre-load spring that have to be just right. Or somebody but the pawl in upside down they only work in one direction according to the rotation of the motor.
Take a pic of the inside and let's see.....:detective:

CarPlayLB

the pawl only comes away about 1/8" when starter is pulled, but my other F&M starter is the same way. Anything you can tell from the pics?

That looks like the correct deep cup. And it looks like there is no wear tracks inside of it. Try applying some pressure to that washer with your fingers while you pull the rope and see if the pawls extend out further.