I swear I searched...copper exhaust

3hp briggs 3/4 threaded block. would like to come off the block and just past the tank with a kick out either down or out.

Could I use thick wall copper and silver solder on a male PTF to make the connection to the block.

How successful will I be at bending the pipe slightyly 45 degree or less.

45t

I've used threaded pipe you can get from the hardware store and put a hot dog muffler on the end to clear the gas tank. Cant bend it and an elbow looks bad but it gets the exhaust lengthened and past the tank.

45t

Maybe thread the copper pipe so it screws into the block? That way you do not have to worry about soldier. Don't know if its possible as I've never researched or tried it. Sorry, this is probably another sucky option. :shrug:

:laugh: You would think that silver solder which requires MAP gas to melt would hold up. Threading copper pipe is from what I understand...pretty tricky.

Must not be an easy option since everything i've serarched on has not pulled up much of anything.

When I was young and dumb (yes I know, hard to believe :rolleyes:) I soldered up a cutom exhaust for my Bonanza using copper pipe, elbows, couplings, etc.....looked bitchin I was all proud of myself....I fired it up and it sounded great....until it reached temperature and then it fell down in pieces like something you would see on a cartoon....:doah:

silver bearing solder might work...has a much higher working temp....plumbing solder, not so much.....:laugh:

vwfan79

I've used threaded pipe you can get from the hardware store and put a hot dog muffler on the end to clear the gas tank. Cant bend it and an elbow looks bad but it gets the exhaust lengthened and past the tank.

Where did you get the air filter on the pink bike?

george3

The guys that do the commercial refrigeration lines use High heat welding on copper pipe lines that wont melt with the engine heat. But you need a very small radius bending head to get what you are looking for.

Last edited:
The silver solder I have used would only melt and flow with the base metal being red hot along with the solder, it might just work on your engine. It is actually more like brazing than normal tin/lead soldering.

with the price of copper these days plus the silver solder you might as well just buy a real pipe or have someone make you one. I doubt copper would hold up for long . especially not with any sort of muffler hanging off of it. you can do a piece of black pipe. and it bends not too dificult

Silver solder and Copper will not work.

These metals have a low melting point compared to steel.
These metals have embrittlement problems.

The failure point where the joints soften and weaken will happen at a lower temperature.

This is why brazed steel pipes tend to fail at the brazed point.

That much said I have used some braze in my steel headers but its less structural than it is to fill voids.
My joints are welded for strength.

There is a way you could use regular gas pipe. Get a piece of pipe a little longer than you want that is threaded on both ends. Get some dry sand and two caps for the threaded pipe. Put the cap on one end. Stand the pipe on its end and put in some sand, tap the cap on the ground to pack the sand down. Keep doing this until the pipe is full, then add a little extra to the top and screw the other cap on. You now have to heat the pipe in the area where you want to bend it, an oxy acetlyene rig is probably necessary. Once the pipe is hot bend it around another larger diameter pipe to get the desired radius. Once cool remove the caps and clean out the pipe, cut off then end you dont want. Install it and burn the tires off that rascal!!!