I think I just threw up a little (Warning: disturbing pictures)

125ccCrazy

Ok here is what I found today while taking the briggs apart that came on the bike I bought last night....

I figured the engine had to be pretty decent with a Hortsman intake, tilly carb, adjustable coil plate, alum finned valve spring cover... Well I knew I couldn't run the engine as is so I started to pull it down, first thing was the clutch, the dang thing didnt want to come off and I noticed the end of the crank had been ground on, hmmm maybe it had some burrs at one time, and then it popped off.... :repuke:.... The kid I bought it from ground the crank down with a grinder so he could put a smaller I.D clutch on the crank.... #@$^%@#(*@^@%........ HOW STUPID!!!!!!! what make sit even worse was when I got the side cover off and seen it was a dual bearing engine, Hortsman H-beam bearing rod, .030 over piston, ground cam, huge ports, truck springs for valve springs, alum retainers...

The oil in the engine looks like antiseaze (silver), the piston is broke on both sides of the wrist pin....

I had to literally pry the rod cap off, the bolts must be stretched and tweaked..

I might be able to reuse the block, have to mic the bore first and the cam looks useable but the crank is junk and I'm leary of the rod not to mention I believe the crank has to be turned down to even use it with the bearings...

any ways here are some disturbing pics...

Last edited:

bandit 40

un believable ,thats a nightmare :sadcrying4:but at least well hopfully the block is still good. I know you were not happy, but its in good hands now:thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

Wow, that is a nightmare! Sorry man!

-j

un believable ,thats a nightmare :sadcrying4:but at least well hopfully the block is still good. I know you were not happy, but its in good hands now:thumbsup:
Yeah I just can't believe what some peope will do... instead of taking the clutch back and getting the right one he frigen ruined a sweet crank not to mention the piston and not too sure about the rod......

bandit 40

What are you gonna do 125ccCrazy rebuild? Or are you gonna put a clone on board? I have this 5.5 honda I just picked up for $ 20 if you want to go that route.:smile:

125ccCrazy

I have one just like it. There are a lot of stupid kids out there.

Craftsman/Tecumseh H40

I just couldnt believe anyone would be that stupid, he said he bought the clutch new, vommon sense would tell ya to take it back LOL.. Actually yours looks a little more propfessional, LOL... I think they held the minibike up to a bench grinder and had someone else turn the engine over as they ground it down..:doah:
What are you gonna do 125ccCrazy rebuild? Or are you gonna put a clone on board? I have this 5.5 honda I just picked up for $ 20 if you want to go that route.:smile:
Mark I don't see alot of hope for this engine.. I'm not a 100% sure that I want to even reuse the rod.... I'll have to degrease the engine and look the block over real good, I'd like to use it again because someone ported it out, deshrouded the valve area on the block, it's .030 over, ect...

I may just look for another 5hp briggs and see if I can use this cam, springs ect.... kinda like to keep this bike a little more original if possible...

I appreciate the offer..
that guy that might have been one of them used car sarsman ??:scooter::scooter:
actually I thunk it midda ben his micanac..... Geee boss i aweways wanted to werk on one of dees modors....:grind::hammer:

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

Unreal. :doah: We need a new section titled " hall of shame", stick a pic of that fiasco in there!
That would be an awesome idea :thumbsup: Everyone post the crap they found when buying used stuff LOL...

People without mechanical abilities and the common sense of a 4 year old should not handle power tools, shoot tools in general....

That would be an awesome idea :thumbsup: Everyone post the crap they found when buying used stuff LOL...

People without mechanical abilities and the common sense of a 4 year old should not handle power tools, shoot tools in general....
Yeah, it seems like mini's bring out hack mechanics. I have a 5HP Tec that has a shaft that make yours look beautiful!

125ccCrazy

Yeah, it seems like mini's bring out hack mechanics. I have a 5HP Tec that has a shaft that make yours look beautiful!
dang shame someone can screw something up that bad..

What really irratated me was that this was a built kart engine with nice parts and machine work.... not only did he mess teh crank up but they beat the pizz out of the engine, oil looked like it's been in there since Carter was president..... I bet it ran good when it was fresh.....