If you could make any vintage mini frame, what would it be?

joshua. c.

Its going to be hard to reproduce an old design to a quality level that would satisfy customers, plus there is the issue of the aditional origenal parts needed: wheels, tires, fenders, motors ect.

What would be cool would be an updated version of an old design using modern wheels motors shocks and brakes. I personally love the 10 to 12 inch rim 1970s full suspention bikes like Rupps Speedways Foxs Bonanzas ect. They ride great, seeing a new take on this idea but updated would be realy cool.

I thought that they were still making the small Lil indian frames.
Triley: I'm not sure if they're still in production. That said, the new generation frames are not made in the same way. They don't have the one piece rolled tubes.......as you can see by where the frame meets the rear wheel. My opinion only, but I always felt they might have been more successful with the reissue of this bike had they been true to the original design.

Triley41395

Triley: I'm not sure if they're still in production. That said, the new generation frames are not made in the same way. They don't have the one piece rolled tubes.......as you can see by where the frame meets the rear wheel. My opinion only, but I always felt they might have been more successful with the reissue of this bike had they been true to the original design.
NTC Trikes would be making the frames.
I wouldn't be making the frames, I was just curious what people may like so I could make a few suggestions. I believe that this is the difference you are talking about correct? Screenshot_20240121_141214_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240121_141159_Chrome.jpg

My vote would be any Lil Indian Century (like above) or the Grand series. Anything prior to the bolt together frame.
1968–1969-year 2 speed versions are my favorite.
Regards,
Joe51

joshua. c.

You could make more than one type of bike. Most mini bike companys produce several models to sute the customers intrests. The smallest being low power 2 to 3 hp motors, small ridged frame bikes that are good for small children and can get motor upgrades for adults (popular because they are cheep) and then they sell one or more beefier models for teens and adults and generaly have bigger wheels a minimum of front shocks (sometimes rear) and larger motors. A good example of this tactic is the Baja Doodlebug (small and cheep) and the Baja Worrier. (Big and tough) both bikes sold in prolific numbers. The Worrier is still avalable new under a new company.

DaddyJohn

The most successful design would be something simple (no suspension, jackshafts, etc.) and inexpensive that’s suited for using currently available inexpensive off the shelf parts. Whatever vintage shape might achieve those design parameters…

Thepaetsguy

The most successful design would be something simple (no suspension, jackshafts, etc.) and inexpensive that’s suited for using currently available inexpensive off the shelf parts. Whatever vintage shape might achieve those design parameters…
Exactly! simple frame design and that’s about the only thing that needs built “in house”..

Weld on the motovox fork tube and bolt on motovox forks like I did and that‘s a ready to paint frame.
D29073A6-D810-4320-AF51-8FC71A4A7B3C.jpeg AA12C43F-D2F0-4C23-819A-97485013CF1B.jpeg 80DCB759-1BAA-4FBE-A569-468E5EC68AB8.jpeg

Triley41395

I'm sure he would use a design that's easy to repeat and would accept a tillotson engine, he uses tillotson on his trikes. Alot of off the shelf parts would have to be used or it would be hard to compete with the Chinese imports.

DaddyJohn

I'm sure he would use a design that's easy to repeat and would accept a tillotson engine, he uses tillotson on his trikes. Alot of off the shelf parts would have to be used or it would be hard to compete with the Chinese imports.
Interestingly, a Honda GX200 (and associated clones), the Honda GC series, Briggs flatheads, and Tecumseh HS engines all have the same mounting pattern and crank offset (at least the in the X and Y axis, height can’t be far off, if at all). At least as far as I know…. The Briggs OHV engines are even likely the same. That said, another design parameter should be to ensure any of these engines (and attached tanks/mufflers/air cleaners) would fit inside the frame rails.