improved stock brakes?

Mr X

well i found a doodlebug on kijiji for really cheap. well there was actually 2 and both cost 300 canadian. so me an a friend got one each for 150. so now i have an almost new doodlebug that runs well except the brakes. i noticed that the stock brakes dont even lock the wheel on gravel even when i set the pads as close to the rotor as possible. i didnt think that was right considering that on my homemade bike i use doodlebug wheels and the stock caliper. except i have a different brake lever, from a mountain bike which has a different leverage ratio. so i took another lever and switched it with the stock one on the doodlebug and now the brakes lock the wheel and stop very well. also on my homemade bike the brakes never seemed to fade or anything i was kinda confused why people would want more braking power then the bike already has.
here is some pics of the stock lever and the new one i put on as well as my bike.

for this bike i want to keep it stock, with all the reflectors on it and all the stickers and everything. im going to make a homemade jackshaft for it like the promod one so it has alittle more low end but so far its a fun little bike even with the bad gearing and weak motor. i also realized how much better suspension makes a bike handle. my homemade dual suspension bike has way more traction.

After reading your thread and having the same issue with the brakes. I went to CT and picked up a brake lever and once it was adjusted properly it works great.... Thanks for the tip!

They must use a different handle on the badger cuz my brakes stock locked the tire up too much nd I had to adjust it accordingly!!:scooter:

the brake perch is a pos. it's plastic and the adjuster collet stripped out the first time I jammed the brakes. I did the same thing, and bought an all aluminum brake lever and it stops great now. However, I do have the hydraulic system on BO for the rear, and will then transfer the stock system up to the front.

and btw, the reason people want more stopping power has nothing to do usually with the stock engine. it's when you drop in a 6.5 motor when you want to be able to stop in a hurry if needed:eek:hmy: