In honor of our dads (shear your dad with us)

THIS IS MY HERO HAROLD GLENN BAINE SR. I WENT EVERYWHERE WITH HIM. HE PASSED AWAY IN 1988 I MISS HIM EVERY DAY.HE HAD A ROAR LIKE A LION AND HART OF GOLD. I WORE HIM OUT FOR YEAR ABOUT MINIBIKES CUT ADDS OUT OF MAGAZINES, I PUT THEM ON HIS DESK ,HIS PILLOW AND ON THE BATHROOM MIRROR AND ON CHRISTMAS MORNING 1970. AT 3AM MY MOM WOKE ME AND SAID YOUR DAD WANTS TO SEE YOU ,,,NOW I HAD BEEN A BRIT ALL DAY BECAUSE I HAD LOOKED EVERY WEAR FOR MINIBIKE AND COULDN'T FIND ONE ON CHRISTMAS EVE SO I NEW THIS WASN'T GOING TO BE GOOD,,,, BUT THERE IT WAS AT THE FRONT DOOR. MY HERO FOR EVER MY DAD.:smile:

Glenn, my wife loved your story, those pics and your avatar, too. Here's pic of my dad at work from sometime in the early 60's, I think. There's a calendar on the wall behind him, but the image is too fuzzy to read. Lighting up a smoke at 09:00. I think he quit smoking somewhere between '66 & '70. Pall Mall straights, 2 to 3 packs a day, and he stopped cold turkey when the doctor said "you're gonna die". He was a swell dad, one of those "Greatest Generation" guys. Served on Okinawa in WWII, rose to a high civilian management position on the Corps of Engineers. Very involved in the development of hydro power in the northwest. Boy Scouts, family camping trips, long car trips to see relatives back east, church. He wasn't much of a motorhead, but he indulged my passion. He passed just a couple of years ago at more than 90 years old, and I miss him.

well i dont have pictures of my dad on the computer so ill just talk about him. without getting too personal, my dad has been the most stable part of my life. he instilled in me southern family values, old school. always rely on your family, they are always there. respect my elders. treat a woman like a lady. hard work always pays off. be honest. my dad worked 6 or 7 days a week providing for my brothers and i. gave my brothers a place to work as teens, i didnt get into the family business. to this day, my older and my younger brother work for our dad. the oldest worked at napa auto parts for years and then indiana petroleum traders. the family business is auto repair. growing up my dad and i would watch nascar or drag racing, or even wrestling. i would say he is my hero, my dad, and a good guy.:thumbsup:

Well my Dad is gone many years ago and I miss him a lot. What he gave ( very big in that department ) was support 100% untethered support in any matter. A reliable backup for the good and the troubled times in our family life. A devout Christan with built in charitable values freely given, Instilled moral values in every day contact with everyone he met. I sometimes stretched his support beyond what I should of and for that I am regretful. So Raymond Lyle Durham is my DAD and he is missed by his entire family.
Steve :scooter:

Cool stories! One of these days MY kids will have nothing but greatness to say about their daddy! Its hard work for sure, but very rewarding to say the least.

Neck

Growing up is optional
One of my Dads favorite Saturday activities, was to go to Sears in Compton and buy tools, I always wanted to tag along, if for no other reason, just to ride in the back of his 65 Chevy pickup, (remember those days?) any way, I don't know if some of you will remember, Sears (I think most of them anyway) had a candy store and made fresh hot pop corn, right in the middle of the store. I had wandered off to another section of the tool department than my Dad was in, when I heard (and smelled) the pop corn machine start to boil over, Quick! where's Dad?! I go running down the middle of the store looking down the isles looking for dad, there he is, I'd know those Khaki pant's anywhere! So I run down the Isle, and grab him around his leg (I was only 6!) and start begging for pop corn money. Now remember I wasn't looking up at him, I was focused on the candy counter! when around the corner, wearing Khaki pants, walks,

My Dad!

With this BIG Shit eating grin on his face

And all of a sudden, a feeling of total panic comes over me! Who's leg am I wrapped around?! Time to run! DAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!! Well I thought the guy I grabbed the first time was going to fall down laughing, and I don't know who enjoyed it more, the guy or my Dad! Oh well I got pop corn, I was happy!

10/28/1942 - 1/16/2009....took 6 years but beat cancer..died from a surgeons mistake for a process to make his life better. Missed everyday...Enjoy every minute with them and all the memories cause life seems way too short not to. To all the Fathers out there....Happy Fathers Day.

I'm pretty lucky, mine's 75 and still running strong. In fact he and my mom are on their way to Tahiti. Among other things, I learned from him not to hesitate to try any task; plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, car repair, electrical, etc. Worst thing that happens is you screw up. He once rebuilt a trashed piano so my brother could take lessons.

My dad was a wwII veteran of pearl harbour.He worked hard all his life supporting six children and when my mother passed away at 40 yrs old he did the cooking etc.He was proud his boys built their first minibike from angle iron with belt drive!None of us ended up in prison or worse so i guess he did good.He too passed in 1991,i miss him and think of him often.

my daddy was a drug addict piece of sh!t, who abandoned me and my mother. i did meet him once when i was about 8, and he gave me sh!t for not finishing my happy meal that he paid for. from what i was told he died of aids in florida, gotta love karma. so :censure: you daddy. and i love you mom. ok back to the great stories and pics:thumbsup:

delray

glenn check out that caddy you dad had:thumbsup: even has the snow tires on it...:laugh: i remember standing in the back seat of my dads 61 caddy and doing donuts in the snow, while are mom was in the kmart store shopping......:laugh:

To add to my lets call it a tribute to my father. We used to push all the living room furniture back out of the way and my brother and I would try to pin my dad wrestling. We would be all tired and sweaty when My Mom came home and give us heck.
I remember working on our Studebaker rebuilding the engine in the carport. And doing the cast Iron plumbing joints under our house pouring molten lead joints and all kinds of projects to make ends meet for the family.
Steve :scooter:

My dad (George Christensen) played tackle for the Air Force team that won the first ever Poinsettia Bowl in 1952...he told me the team had to lie on the floor of a military cargo plane to fly from Bolling AFB , Washington D.C. to San Diego for the game, stopping in Texas to re-fuel ...later became a successful businessman operating his own textile mills in North Carolina. Came from nothing, dirt poor - started out delivering ice off a horse drawn wagon and earned everything he had in life the hard way.
Died way too young...miss him everyday :sad:

Last edited:
Glen,i too had a drop-top cadillac like your dads,that i restored years ago(wish i still had it),and i love the picture of your dad with his pistol tucked under his belt!

HE LOVED THE CADDY.DROP TOPS HIS FIRST WAS I THANK A 1956, HE HAD A 1959 FOR A SHORT TIME IT GOT TOTALED HE WOULD TRADE EVER TO 2TO 3 YEARS HIS LAST CONVERTIBLE WAS A 1970 THE LAST YEAR FOR THE DEVILLE CONVERTIBLE . HE KEPT THE 1965 UP TELL 1974 HE GAVE IT TO ME BUT I GOT IN TROUBLE WITH IT IT WAS TO FAST FOR ME THEN.:wink:I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE THE:wink:SE PHOTOS PAUL

My dad left me back in 2001 after a short battle with cancer..He was a great man and not a day goes by that I don't think about him...He used to bring home lots of "projects" when I was a kid...Mini bikes and snowmobiles that always needed work to make them rideable....Sometimes he would help but more often than not he wouldn't..I didn't understand at the time why he didn't help me but I understand now that he was making me LEARN how to do things on my own.....It was the greatest gift he ever gave me!:thumbsup:

My father was an attorney. He passed away in 1972 just before his 42 bithday. He was a stern man and a good father. I do miss him...

TT :thumbsup: