Is it normal to,,,

Have the gap going in smaller than the gap gpoing out (newer 5HP Tecumseh)

The engine starts right up and idles and run under load after cleaning the needles, however the bike shutters off the line and then runs fine once rolling. I'm wondering if the gap could be a problem and the engine should be too new to have a faulty coil. :doah:

Pic in, out and center

Yeah, it's starts right up every time after I cleand the needle. I'll try a carb kit first, I was just wondering what the gap should be and should it be even right and left.

Hey I promise to get a manual someday. :doah:

Hey I promise to get a manual someday. :doah:
Better hurry. My understanding is that the US is cracking down on the cheap ones.
:hammer:

Have you run a wire through the secondary? What shape is the diaphragm in?

Last edited:
Jeff, I ran a wire through the big and little hole of the jet in the float (main jet?) and that got it running, now it's just an off the line stuttering problem. The carb and engine are fairly new but the bike was sitting before I got it.

I don't use a diaphagm. :thefinger:

An off the line stuttering could indicate a too lean mixture at idle. Try to richen the mixture slightly and try it again.

It could also be your driving habit. These engines have no accelerator pump, so when you increase the airflow (open the throttle), gas takes more time to get moving than the air. So, for a split second, the mixture becomes lean and causes the engine to stutter like you said. Try to get off the line by turning the throttle more slowly, like half a second to a second from closed to wide open. Try to avoid "mashing the gas" because the faster you open the throttle, the more this problem becomes obvious. These small engines were initially meant to be used on equipment running at a steady rpm, not on a vehicle where the rpm varies all the time.

An off the line stuttering could indicate a too lean mixture at idle. Try to richen the mixture slightly and try it again.

It could also be your driving habit. These engines have no accelerator pump, so when you increase the airflow (open the throttle), gas takes more time to get moving than the air. So, for a split second, the mixture becomes lean and causes the engine to stutter like you said. Try to get off the line by turning the throttle more slowly, like half a second to a second from closed to wide open. Try to avoid "mashing the gas" because the faster you open the throttle, the more this problem becomes obvious. These small engines were initially meant to be used on equipment running at a steady rpm, not on a vehicle where the rpm varies all the time.
BB, I've adjusted both needles in every possition and driving habbits don't matter so the needle either clogged again or it's electrical. I still the the gap looks funny though.

OldMan

A really "high-tech" method for setting the gap is to use a healthy piece of grocery sack... the heavy brown paper variety, not the thin plastic type... as a feeler guage. :thumbsup:

It's worked around here for a long time. :scooter:

I always use a business card. It should have the same gap on both sides though. Every coil I've ever had go out just went out instead of weak. Is this the same one you talked about the plug looking black? It could be too rich. When it gets opened up you get enough air to seemingly run ok. have someone watch when you punch it, and see if it puffs a little black cloud. Float could be set a little high, or be filling with gas. Take it out and shake it and listen for carefully for gas inside it. Good luck.

I always use a business card. It should have the same gap on both sides though. Every coil I've ever had go out just went out instead of weak. Is this the same one you talked about the plug looking black? It could be too rich. When it gets opened up you get enough air to seemingly run ok. have someone watch when you punch it, and see if it puffs a little black cloud. Float could be set a little high, or be filling with gas. Take it out and shake it and listen for carefully for gas inside it. Good luck.
Yep, same engine and I did shake the float and tried adjusting a million times. I'll put a rebuild kit in it and then I'll know.

Hey gto, maybe your clutch is engaging too soon, and you could be lugging your engine, this happened to me once after i overheated the clutch, and the springs died.

Jim......CJ8 Champion........only plug I run in the little engines. I hate Champions for anything else but after trying NGK, Nippondenso, and others, I have had best luck on all the Tec engines including the high RPM engines with the CJ8......even the dual carbed engine runs fine on them...Gap .030"..nothing smaller or coil won't produce proper amerage and nothing wider due to making it too hard on the coil to fire the plug due to wide gap