Is the dream over?!?! Damaged block...

Hey everyone! New to the forums and to minibikes. Great forums here. Everyone has been very helpful. Here is my problem. I picked up a 1975 Briggs 5hp just the other day for $100. Absolutely beautiful, love it. Cleaned it up, topped it off and ran it a few times. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but then I noticed a puddle of oil under it. Investigated and found this!

So, can it be repaired? What route should I take?

I had a tecumseh block that was ripped in 1/2 by an excavator, flywheel and crank ripped off the front, along with the coil and studs.. I cleaned up the damage, glued the stuff in with 2 part epoxy, then bolted it back together from the inside out, and it held.. :shrug:

That is way down there in the oil.. You'd wanna make sure and get it REALLY clean, and really well gooped..

But I'd say if ya put the two pieces together, drill a hole into the broken out piece, that will allow you to use a screw and washers to bolt it back into the block from the inside..

Lots and lots of 2 part epoxy.. I don't see why you couldn't glue it back on.. :shrug:

OK, there is hope. This really let the wind out of my sails :no:. So if I go this route I'll need a set of gaskets, anything else?

Any thoughts on taking this into a machine shop and seeing what they could do with it?

shouldnt be too difficult to find someone who can weld aluminum :shrug:. 2 part epoxy would probrobly hold but its asking alot with the pull start bolted to it. drill and tap it with a bolt from the back would probrobly be enough or add a little L bracket epoxied on there to help it. Or you can chuck the piece and make a little L bracket with a nut welded on. and bolt that through the hole in the block with epoxy. theres all kinds of ways to hack that together :)
My brother bought a vw engine only to find a huge hole in the top of the block from a thrown rod. No wonder it only turned over half way lol He just put a bolt with some huge washers and lots of rtv sealant. Its been going strong for years. all it needs to do is hold the oil in

Last edited:
Could I get to it by just removing the crank case cover? Will the crank be in the way do you think?
Yeah you should be alright doing it like that. There is a new kind of brazing rod for aluminum,it acts like solder and the best part is you can use a propane torch to use it.You can buy it at Ace Hardware and it will fix that,check it out.:thumbsup:

Yeah you should be alright doing it like that. There is a new kind of brazing rod for aluminum,it acts like solder and the best part is you can use a propane torch to use it.You can buy it at Ace Hardware and it will fix that,check it out.:thumbsup:
I have to weld lifter bores, but woukd this work instead?

CarPlayLB

I have to weld lifter bores, but woukd this work instead?
no....you need a good penetration weld on the lifter bores...the metal filler rod has no penetration...more like a solder

and if you are welding larger cast pieces with the filler rod, it works better if you can heat the part first...my gas BBQ sees a little action now and then!

Just a quick update here. With the help of a skilled welder, the block is fixed. I asked a welder that I know how how he would go about getting it fixed, and he said he'd make a run at it. A few days later he brought it in and it was golden. I put it together and with a little love and a few extra pulls she fired up again!

Thanks for everyone's help!! I'll be posting a mini-project log soon once the bike is reassembled.