Is this a Bird??

The War Eagle looks like a Sprite. I always hesitate to answer these things because you guys are so damn good at it. The different models for different years is hard to figure out sometimes.

Markus doesn't miss ANY that I know of. :laugh:

I haven't figured out the kick stands yet. I have three that have regular kickstands like yours Geo and one that has the center stand. Also for me the steering is a little squirrley. The restored one I have scares me to death. I can't imagine it with that motor on it lol. I'll bet it's pretty lively!

Doc

markus

The War Eagle looks like a Sprite. I always hesitate to answer these things because you guys are so damn good at it. The different models for different years is hard to figure out sometimes.
thats because technically it was, Bird/Phoenix engineering changed the names up every couple of years, the bike itself never really changed much though in the 15 or so years they offered it. You can get it narrowed down within a few years/name change usually by the little changes that were made, kickstand/forkplate/1 or 2 piece wheels/seat material etc..

The bike's steering is definitely a bit squirrely, even more so with the motor on it.
Very typical for this model bike with those handlebars. Same way with the Sears Ropers. While the bike is extremely comfortable to ride, the steering/handling "takes some getting used to". One of our Sears Ropers had a hopped-up Tecumseh H60 that would do about 45 topped out in 2nd gear (it had the 2-speed jackshaft). You FELT like you were doing 80MPH!
Michael

Also some Bird bikes have an offset rear wheel creating a bias, Wrens have a discernable offset and are terribly squirrely at higher speeds. I'd be willing to bet many more models have this offset. I'm never going to build another Bird with a scrub brake only either, a clutch brake will always be my primary brake should I build another regardless of the engine size or power.

Yep Outlaw. I think the clutch brake is the best thing I could do to that bike as far as an upgrade. I don't care if it's original, It needs it. The scrub brake is just a back up if I should lose the chain.

Doc

Even under perfect conditions those aluminum pads are fair at best for stopping, add even a little water or use a dried out tire and you best be current on your prayers and be good at straightening forks. I've always advocated safety in our hobby and a clutch brake is a great asset to have on a Bird minibike or any mini with a scrub brake.:thumbsup:

Yep Outlaw. I think the clutch brake is the best thing I could do to that bike as far as an upgrade. I don't care if it's original, It needs it. The scrub brake is just a back up if I should lose the chain.

Doc

I do have a clutch band brake that I'm going to add to this bike especially after what you all say about the scrub brake. I'm not too fond about the way the motor mounts to the plate, it's all on on side which makes the bike off balanced.

I had to laugh Geo, I remember the first time I really looked at a Bird and realized the offset of the engine and rear tire. I thought some engineer was a whackadoodle. Look at it this way, it's really unique. Of course that uniqueness sadly screws with the stability of the bike, but it's a serious part of our history. Simply said, that's the way they made 'em.

I am glad you are going with the band brake. It's truly less worrisome for your teeth. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I still think they are a super looking bike and representative of what most of us had as kids.

Doc

Last edited:
Thanks Doc, Well said, and definitely true about the engineering but still a cool bike regardless of it's quirks. It's fun restoring these back to what they once were and certainly a part of our history.

capguncowboy

the engine being off to one side won't really make the bike off balance when riding it. The spinning flywheel will provide stability like a gyroscrope. It would probably be more ideal to have the flywheel in the direct center of the bike, but once it's up to speed, i doubt you'd notice much of an imbalance, if any

I like all my Birds , the worst part of the engineering IMO is the darn short foot pegs , try to put your foot on em around the Predator :doah: I made new longer ones and it made a world of difference :thumbsup: