Is this engine an old Wisconsin?

65ShelbyClone

I got this engine back in '05 off of a big, ancient cement mixer. It had been sitting for 20+ years and then a forest fire delivered the finishing blow in '04. Fortunately it didn't get hot enough to wreck much other than the fuel tank and plug wire. Surprisingly the oil still looks good both in color and viscosity.

Anyway, everything but the head is iron, it has tapered crankshaft bearings, 2:1(3:1?) chain-driven reduction, a magneto, 18mm spark plug, and a Walbro carb. It's built like a tank!

I started refinishing the shroud. The tank is next.

I would be grateful for any information regarding the make, model, output, and vintage of this engine. I have to remove the head in order to put the shroud back on, so I can measure the bore and stroke if it will help.

I'm 99% it's a Wisconsin, Here is one of waynes. Not a good photo but it's all I have here to show you. They are heavy, that's for sure.

65ShelbyClone

I appreciate it. Just about any info is more than I have now.

I really like the old flathead engines. The one in the background of my photos is a 1950s iron Briggs model 14. What I would like to do with this Wisconsin(?) is get a regular keyed crankshaft and side plate to eliminate the reduction box.

My first minibike had a 4hp Wisi and when I tried to open the crankcase the crank was stuck to the sidecover. I think there was a lock ring or somthing.:shrug:

I ruined that engine.........:doah:

65ShelbyClone

After a lot more digging, it's definitely a Wisconsin and looks like it's either an AK or AKN model. They appear to be the same engine with the AK's rated output being 4.1hp @ 2400rpm instead of the AKN's 6.2 @ 3600. The difference in power is probably just from the difference in rpm and not physical variations. Production ceased in 1955, so my engine no newer than that. I don't think I can find out the exact production year/month since the data tag with the serial is missing. It also appears that the Walbro carb was much less common than the Zeniths and might be a service replacement instead of original equipment.

Last edited:
i have a wisconsin s7d, and unfortunately, even with the nameplate and all numbers, etc still completely readable, i called wisconsin and searched and searched everywhere but couldnt find this engines year of make, nor what it was made for! nothing on it gives hints to what it was used for, either. its a
7.5 hp and its got a pretty big piston. everyone in my engines class was amazed by the size of the piston. and since this was my first engine, i was amazed at how little some of the other pistons were!

it is all cast iron, like urs, and it has actually a "bendix" zenith carb. i didnt know this til i just looked cause i got to get the carb re built now. i just rebuilt basicly every part of this engine just these last couple days, but the carb and valves i still have to put back together and on the engine. and i cant find one of the valve seats!! :freakout: