Italjet mini bambino

Hi peeps,

i posted the other week about me digging out my old motorbike from my mum and dads and i was wondering what it was. You guys informed me it was a Italjet mini bambino - i am now looking at restoring it.

Over the weekend i have stripped and cleaned it the best i can. My dad is going to get it sprayed up to the original colour this week at his work (he does this sort of stuff). I was wondering though when cleaning the chrome parts this weekend i have noticed the chrome on the handlebars has pitted slightly.

Are there any tips for getting these back into good condition or will the need re-chroming?

Also any tips on what to use for the engine/other bits around it?

I am also still struggling to find the original decal that was on the bike - this was a red and white striped with a blue bit at the side of the striped with a circle of little gold stars. With Italjet running over the red and white stripes.

If anyone could recommend somewhere to source on of these it would be appreciated! :scooter::scooter:

Cheers!

Yeah here is a pic as it is, i have managed to find a guy on ebay so i can source the original decal:thumbsup:

I have cleaned it up so i will post another pic of how it looks since i cleaned it up when i get chance.

Somebody has also mentioned some stuff called solvol for cleaning up the chrome. Has anybody used this?

cheers!

markus

Nice, but a couple comments. Interesting, the forks on the Italjet are different from the Indian, on the Indian ones the wheel is mounted on the bottom of the fork (I have three sets-all the same). Also it looks like the rear shocks are on upside down from my Indian, maybe Italjet did that? All the rest looks the same. I've had mine about 25 years with hardly any problems, enjoy!

Cheers peeps and thanks Markus ordered myself some I have been searching for them! Not sure on the way the wheels are mounted or the folks any other people know? It was like that when my mum and dad bought it me over 28 years ago!

markus

I would say the rear shocks are on upside down. The front forks look beefier than what you normally see, even the triple trees, on this series of bikes and they never had the Italjet written on them. They probably came from a later verison one. Nothing wrong with that, as they fit very nicely and probably 10 times better than the weak ass originals!

You might get your decals faster than me depending on how he shipped mine so post up if they work out for the mag cover:thumbsup:

Just spoke to my dad and yes the shocks are on upside down he did it about 20 odd years ago :laugh:

Cheers for the heads up i'll sort it out

Hi hopefully my stickers should arrive today Markus. In terms of bambinos how much do they go for? Somebody has offered me £275 but there's not a chance I'm selling it especially at that price. The guy is a dealer.

markus

Hi hopefully my stickers should arrive today Markus. In terms of bambinos how much do they go for? Somebody has offered me £275 but there's not a chance I'm selling it especially at that price. The guy is a dealer.
Mine arrived last night. Looks like they will fit just right. while I would not mind having a better quality decal, for the price he sells them at (even with the ship cost to send them overseas to me) I'm VERY happy with them and will probably buy some other decals from him in the future. I got some of his "made in italy" decals as well but they are all a bit larger than whats on any of my minibikes though.

Pricing is real hard to peg down on these bikes, If yours is running/driving, Hes a bit low in my opinion. He should be closer to double that maybe more depending on overall condition. The majority of them (over here) recently that have been sold are all "fixer uppers" very rarely do you see one thats a complete, running, driving example listed for sale. In my opinion a complete running driving bike thats original (or as close as it can get) should be easily valued in the $1000 (US) and up range. Decent, mostly complete projects bikes are pulling about what you were offered for yours (around $500 US).