Italjet mini mini Bambino/indian mini mini MM5A

markus

This one may go unfinished but I'm going to go ahead and start on it and see where it takes me.

The Bike is an Italjet Mini mini Bambino these are the bikes that Indian used for their Mini Mini MM5a bikes

I believe that this one is around a '72 but its been difficult to nail down production dates.

And yes this is a bike that I had for sale here previously, I did sell it locally to a guy that is into VW's (like me), He recently came around looking for a much needed part for a Beetle he was working on which I happened to have and we ended up swapping and I got the bike back.

Plans are to make this nothing more than a display piece, and spend as little money as possible in the process! Its not really rideable unless you are a little kid or an umpah loompa, since I'm 6'1" I'm out:smile: Overall its very complete solid. There are a few little tidbits missing but I have seen them available here and there so I should be able to mostly complete it.

the bike:

one nice cut across my left middle finger and a half hour later:

markus

stripped the paint on the fenders, numberplate, and tank, took the motor into work today and used the shops parts washer on it as the solution in my tank at home is way past its prime:thumbdown: and wire wheeled a few crusty areas of some various parts to get rid of some of the loose stuff before It all goes into the sandblast cabinet.

I worked on some of the chrome as well, Its a little worse off than I originally thought The handlebars did come out pretty well, I really thought the front forks were going to clean up better than they did. I worked on the front wheel too, Its not terrible, but its still pretty spotted, have not worked on the rear yet.

The mainframe is pretty nice, I may shoot the swing arm, footpeg bracket and fork mounts first to see if it blends decent before I go and strip and repaint the frame. I have all the nuts/bolts washers soaking right now as well.

Think I may have figured out the coil/mag assy too and possibly the "no spark" issue, I hope so as I don't want to spend any $$ on this one. If I can get that working, well I may qualify for the under $200 challange with this one when I'm done!

Independent Cycle Spokane, WA had a couple huge racks of NOS Italjet parts, but they may be gone now. I haven't been there for about three or four years. They are tough to contact and mostly sell on eBay. Used Motorcycle Parts - Independent Cycle There was an ad on this site for NOS Indian and Italjet parts. It was on the East Coast in MI, MN, or WI. Maybe NY. Anyway, the ad doesn't come up in a search, but maybe you will have better luck. Vintage Snowmobiles Classifieds on VintageSleds.com

There's a guy on eBay that sells alot of Indian Mini parts, I just spent some cash to get my Mini running for my grand kids. My kids grew up riding it , now it's the grand kids turn!

markus

wow I guess I should give an update on this one. Well, not much to update :doah: cant believe I've had this bike apart for over a year now!!! I have been collecting parts here and there, and some cool Italjet memorabilia to go along with it as well. When the "pawn stars" boom hit I decided I better get off my butt and order what I could from Gary Baker before the other what 30 known to exist decided to get there parts as well :laugh: I also bought a parts bike and got what I needed for motor parts and a few tidbits as well.

Last week I stumbled across the storage bin that I keep the disassembled bike in. so when I was sandblasting some other parts I dug out the tank and fenders and hit them and shot some sealing primer on them. I just realized I forgot to dig out the numberplate, dammit!

since I'm trying to put the Italjet M5B that recently bought back together I am going to try and work on them at the same time. well see how that works out :doah:

i just picked on of these up this morning got it running but it seems to lack power like its bogging down when throttled i als have a cx 50 italjet that runs the same way what am i missing?

Look where the carb. mounts to the jug. There might be a spacer that restricts air flow. it's how they slowed them doem. remove that and see what happens