jacobsen engine ...what horse power?

im using this engine for my trail horse. it came off of a 1963 jacobsen 321 reel mower. if anyone knows any info on them and could tell me the horse power that would be great

thanks

Great engine. Got a J-321 on a Fox mini.
Runs circles around my Clinton 2 cycles. Behaves like it's over 4 hp.
I was surprised by it's robust .750" diameter shaft.

now I'm kickin' myself for not gettin' one on ebay last week.:doah:
nice lil engine:thumbsup:
Gotta be careful on them. Some of them have an unusable short shaft (edger?).
I lucked out and got a NOS short block on Ebay for peanuts.
I was the only bidder. I think it was $35 delivered.
Another J-321 I bought has a 6:1 gear reduction on it. Also unusable...but good for parts.
If you find another, be sure to check shaft size (diameter and length) first.
Really difficult to get parts for these as they've been out of production for at least a couple of decades.

delray

gto800,cool looking little motors. they don't put out lot of torque or horse power,so you need to gear the minibike down(alot)to make them move anything....:scooter:
last friday i trip over 3 or 4 of them at a swapmeet and also some 2 cycle clinton motors that where only rated at 2 1/2hp and 2 3/4hp. they look real cool on small minibike frames. great for a small kid to ride on........:scooter:

delray

yes gto, the early tecumseh engines also had the same pull cover housing. not much on clinton and tecumseh history,but i do know they share some parts on they engines on early models only and that both where made here in wisconsin. i think tecumseh bought out clinton???.
last year a guy at a swapmeet was selling new nos pull covers for only $5:doah:
when you live in the same state where all this stuff was made, there is so much of it just laying around:doah:

delray

nice lawn-boy biker:thumbsup:,kind of surprize you don't need the jackshaft. bike take off fast or kind of slow?
fox's first minibike was a 2 cycle(for about a year maybe) and then went a briggs for a short time and then tecumseh....
i think fox purchase a go-kart company with a surpus of 2-cycle engines they had to use up first.
here is a owners manaul of the first fox campus minibike with a 2-cycle.i believe it's a clinton style engine????look no jackshaft setup?
are the engines built like my reo? pto shaft runs off the cam shaft making it 2 to 1 ratio..........:scooter:

delray

:mad2:you got a point there:doah: sorry thinking about my reo engine and thats a 4-cycle
sorry brain freeze:eek:ut:...........:laugh:
still kind of wonder how them small 2cycles can pull you around with out a jackshaft set up or something?

delray

i like it scooter boy:thumbsup:..:scooter:
i hate to jump into something different,but what kind of brake unit you have on that and how good does it work?

i like it scooter boy:thumbsup:..:scooter:
i hate to jump into something different,but what kind of brake unit you have on that and how good does it work?
That rear wheel is one of the old ones with the sprocket mounts on the outer lip. The brake if I remember right(built this one over a year ago) is a little Honda brake. Works decent.:thumbsup: