Juggernauts on stock(ish) engines.

MJL

I often see it said that Juggernaut (and possibly other “Super 30” style) drivers are not recommended for stock engines. This is my experience with a Juggernaut and a mostly stock Predator 224 on a 6” stretched Coleman CT200U-EX with 6” driven and 10/60 sprockets. The knockoff driven pulley is running the stock red spring in the stock position.

Only engine mods were a high flow fabric air filter, rejet, a GXV 160 cast aluminum flywheel (which shouldn’t affect performance much), and backing out the throttle stop screw. With no governor adjustments, the engine easily revs to 4800-4900 rpms on 150 yard pulls on flat terrain, hitting 25 mph, then picks another couple mph and 100 rpm, but slowly. This is with my 230 lbs and no tucking. My 150 lb son hits 28 mph with no tuck, and 30 mph by tucking. A review of maximum rpm did not show any higher max with my son vs me. The engine does not seem to hit valve float and does not “bounce” on the governor but is presumably being limited by it.

The bike has gobs of torque and will easily wheelie from a stop with me on it. Quite a feat considering how long it is and my weight. It’ll climb any hill I care to go up, including starting from a dead stop on said hill.

We slotted the mounting holes on the TAV back plate to allow for belt tension adjustment. Very handy considering the small pile of various import belts of varying lengths. I probably picked up 3/8-1/2” of adjustment with the slots. Could have done a bit more, but stopped before the stock TAV cover began to rub hard on the Juggernaut. Pinched, the belt probably still has a 1/4” inch or so of slack around the Juggernaut.

Given our tight, hilly trail on our property, I am very happy with a 25-30 mph bike with awesome pulling torque. During a run with the cover off, the Juggernaut appeared to shift through approximately half of it’s available range at 4900 rpms or so. We don’t have a long gentle down hill to test on, but it would be interesting to see if the Juggernaut continued to upshift as the load decreased.

With the available torque, I think the 224/Juggernaut combo could support a much taller sprocket ratio if you wanted to trade off some low end for top speed. I’d be interested in hearing more if someone has done this.

Overall, I am very impressed with the Juggernaut. I think it operates in a lower range than a Comet style driver, upshifts slower, downshifts faster, and has been very reliable for us, never requiring disassembly for maintenance.

I’m also interested in the differences between the Juggernaut, Torquzilla, and non branded “Super 30” drivers if anyone has any comparisons.

I can't add anything to this post but it did prod me to search for your stretch frame post. I like the way you did that. 2 thumbs up. What is your wheelbase and seat height now? Have you weighed the bike?
Ever since I made mine I've kinda been interested in the specs of various frames. Wheelbase, bike weight, total weight, front to rear weight bias with and without a rider, engine and gearing choices, rake and trail compared to tire size and width. That kind of stuff.