Just got a Tri-Rod

First post and looking forward to many more.
I just picked this up the other day and finally figured out what it was thanks to this site, needs some work, have throttle and cables on the way and getting new levers this week for the brakes, going to just run it a bit and then get a seat made and repair the body, should be a load of fun for the summer.
IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0969.JPG IMG_0972.JPG

You'll have a blast. I suggest taking the differential apart and clean it and grease it. After 40 years it is probably like mud in there.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes. Looks like you found a winner very complete. I'm a trike freak and own a few,including a TriRod too. If I can help in any way shape or form,,just let me know :thumbsup:

Thanks guys
I can't get the original 5 hp to go, going to try a new plug tomorrow and if that's not it going to find a new motor and redo the 5 over the summer, kids need to enjoy this over our short summer and so do I, plan on getting a seat and fixing it real nice.
Jon

Quick question, how are these for tipping? I know if the brakes are right you can whip it around on a dime but what about flipping? Going to have kids like 10 and 12 ridding it and adults of course.

They have a pretty low center of gravity and a wide stance. Not saying they're tip proof,but you'd have to try pretty darn hard to get one to. Also your model with the 5hp won't have neck snapping performance so I'd say you'll be safe with the little ones. I take my 3-1/2 YO granddaughter for some pretty fast rides and have never felt a wheel lift. Solo riding my TS150 Tri Sport 2 stroker I get more power-slides then wheel lift. The only way these band brakes do any good is when they're 100% fresh ,and even then they're weak ! Beware lol

They do tip. But because you are so low you slide more than take a hard tumble. They will have a blast. If the bands are good just adjust the brakes as much as you can. They should stop smaller kids fine. Band brakes don't stop me on a dime but well enough for my 350 pounds. Lots of fun. Just make sure if the kids don't have good hand strength that you get longer brake levers for more leverage.

I usually have to tighten my brakes way up to get mine to stop. My buddy leaves his very loose because he is smaller. I ride his and I slow down. He skids all over the place. Size matters. Trial and error.