just picked a Tecumseh for my Cat Eliminator project

I've been looking for a Tecumseh for my Cat project and just picked this Toro 421. I know I will need to ditch the electric start, find the proper shroud, air cleaner, Throttle hook up, and paint it whit but I think I'm off to a good start! 0126171531.jpg 0126171531a.jpg 0126171547.jpg 0126171547a.jpg

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
This is how I converted a Snow blower linkage into mini bike friendly.

Took some off the lever and the thumb control. Welded a curved piece of metal to the lever. Drilled a hole for cable.

Drilled a hole for return spring, bent the top part down 90%, drilled a hole for cable housing holder.

Used a cable guide off bicycle brake caliper.

Looks like I just scored another snowblower with a Tecumseh on it. I will be picking it up tomorow.
Not sure what model engine it is yet but I know it is not electric start.
Hoping this one is more correct and has a 3/4" output shaft instead of the 1" shaft on the one i got yesterday.

delray

not sure what the deal was on the 421's but i have seen alot of them too with 1inch cranks. wondering if maybe it would have a bearing cover? probably not. something to check out maybe..........:shrug:

Hello, I have one of those on the shelf as well. Came with the 1" crank and std. side cover. Points style ignition with a heavy cast iron flywheel with the plastic air fins. The block will take a std. 3/4 crank and the aluminum flywheel. I ditched the 1" crank, heavy flywheel, side cover and recoil cover. Swapped them over to the 3/4 crank, with ball bearing side cover, al. flywheel and older style recoil cover.
Regards,
Joe51

markus

not sure what the deal was on the 421's but i have seen alot of them too with 1inch cranks. wondering if maybe it would have a bearing cover? probably not. something to check out maybe..........:shrug:
They didn't offer cranks larger than 3/4" PTO with the BB supported sidecovers on the small frame engines, as the BB itself is basically 3/4" ID. so the output could not go bigger than that. the Bushing sidecover itself will interchange with a bushing 3/4" PTO crankshaft though as the journal on the HS40 crankshaft is 1".

On a side note, If looking for a replacement really need to keep it "HS40" if looking for 3/4" pto crank. The HS50's are easier to find with that era flywheel taper, but they added something like .009" to the counter weights I guess to compensate for the larger piston so you might have to skirt the piston and also may end up with some vibration issues.