Kustom Kart Shop

Thanks to all for the positive comments.......as I was writing it I'm thinking "man this is getting wordy:doah:...nobody is going to want to read through all this...maybe I should just post the pictures."

But I went ahead and posted it as written with the thought that someday...maybe many years from now....my son or daughter might be able to look back at it and smile when they read it. I often wish I had somehow recorded the stories my father and even my grandfather had told me about their childhood....but they are just faded memories now.

For the same reason I thought it would be neat to record Rich Ludwig's story....share it with others....preserve it. He's one of my favorite people to be around, he's such an interesting character. I could sit and listen to that "interview" over and over.

I hope the Apocolypse doesn't wipe out the internet...it would be nice to think the OldMiniBikes will live forever.....:scooter:

Bravo Bravo...... 3 cheers for KK. You are doing the minibike community a great service by writing that post. Thank you sir. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
...I think it would be cool if you could use the negatives of those old B&W photos and enlarge them and frame the pictures to display in your man cave. That would be cool to post next to the neon sign.
we think alike 45t.....as a token of my appreciation I had some enlargements made for Rich Ludwig...including a poster sized framed copy of the storefront photo......I had a second one made for my son's room...just never seem to get around to organizing all this stuff....

Do I see a new Avatar in your future?
You know the thought did cross my mind....one of those animated jobs where the Kustom Kart sign is flashing back and forth would be cool.

I've had that same avatar since day one though and as you can tell I get sentimentally attached to things...:smile:

Awes:thumbsup:me story and pictures, and the interview was a Plus. Those were the days and i'm sure many of us here are reliving our childhood though our minibikes and Great stories and photos like these. Thanks for sharing....

Talk about memories!...... I was raised in Edison NJ and my Mom or Dad would take me to KK in Union in the late 1960's to buy my Rupp, Bonanza, Margay parts..... This place was a one stop shop and a well known mecca for the guys I hung out with. Those pics really bring back memories!
The other Mini Bike Shop in the Central NJ was California Speed and Sport.
The places I used to ride was in the Camp Kilmer Army base after it shut down.

THANKS! For posting the pix..... Nice Thanksgiving present.

Last edited:
WOW this story alone justified being a supporting member. There was a ghost motorcycle thread a while back that brought back some personal memories but this was so in depth and with the real interview just killer. The guy is also so down to earth it was really great. I have all my kids home for thanksgiving and some of their college friends but I couldn't pull myself off this stupid computer till i finished reading your story. Would be nice to tell him about this website and the resurgence of the minibikes. (I bet your already have) Thanks for posting this it was such a great story!!!!!!!

Wow

What a read
liked it alot .
There were 2 places like that when I was growing up.
1 on Woodland ave in West Philadelphia and another in Darby Pa
used to go there and drull over all the stuff they had.
A friend and I use to go to frt street in philly we drove down in his 51 ford pickup with a 392 hemi and in the bed we brought a race kart with 2 Macs .
He never got beat but almost got run over.
Thanks Again FRANK

that was just awesome. Thank you for sharing that with all of us. such a cool trip back to the good ol days. great pics, great story.
thanks again:smile:

...... Would be nice to tell him about this website and the resurgence of the minibikes. (I bet your already have)
...I just got off the phone with him a little while ago. I was excited about how good the thread turned out and how people liked it so I wanted to send him the link so he could see for himself.

He said he doesn't have a computer with internet....never has.....not even e-mail....:doah:

But that's the kind of thing that makes him such an interesting character... old school all the way.

Last edited:
There are somethings in life that can never be bought , sold or taken away , and you my friend have given us all a gift that we can share.
Thank you so much for the memories.

What a awesome story:thumbsup: I started reading this today at lunch on my phone. I couldn't wait to get home and finish the story. I think you missed your calling for being a author:laugh::laugh: I actually just had something very similar happen to me. (thats another story:laugh:). This really brings you down memory lane. I'll have to check out some of my old mini bike magazines for his store ads. Thanks for sharing gerry, JUST GREAT STUFF.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

...I just got off the phone with him a little while ago. I was excited about how good the thread turned out and how people liked it so I wanted to send him the link so he could see for himself.

He said he doesn't own a computer....never has.....not even e-mail....:doah:

But that's the kind of thing that makes him such an interesting character... old school all the way.
maybe the next time you visit him, you should bring a lap top (if thats a posability) and let him see this. but hell, he did live it:laugh: did you mention to him about OldMiniBikes, im sure you did and im sure hes happy to see this hobby is still going strong:thumbsup: