Kustom Kart Shop

And finally I have a special treat to add.

I have so much fun listening to Rich talk about the “good old days” I thought the other members on here might also enjoy hearing one of his stories.. On our last visit he graciously agreed to let me “interview” him while KK Jr. recorded him on his I-Phone.

If you’ve ever wondered what it was like to be there back in the day…then pull up a chair. You’re going to hear from a guy who was right in the middle of it all….

[video=youtube_share;xSa1S_thsBQ]https://youtu.be/xSa1S_thsBQ[/video]

Many thanks to Rich Ludwig for befriending me and allowing me to share his personal mementos and rememberances with my fellow OldMiniBikes members. Until now the video and the old store photos have never been seen by anyone else nor have they been posted on any other forum. An OldMiniBikes exclusive!!!

For me, it’s been the next best thing to having a real time machine and has allowed me to revisit those childhood days that I so often long for.

Hope you all enjoy this thread as much as I have putting it together….

great interview !!!! i too started my two wheel life long love of bike at Kustom Kart with a new 1969 bonanza bc1300 (12 years old )Rich was a great guy . i would go there on a saturday and clean the place for free and always walk with a ton of spares that rich didnt want

everytime i read this story it takes this babyboomer back to my childhood and draging my Dad around to as many minibike stores i could find in south florida. they had a taco dealer in miami and of course sears and jc penney's had minibikes in their auto center and of course i was like any 10-12 yoa kid my eyes were wide and i would take any one of them and after seeing i wasn't getting a japanese honda mini 50 i gladly took a made in the usa sears puncher. those were great old days. :scooter:

I was at the track this past weekend when Rich told me about this site. I am amazed you posted this and I love it.. I have known Rich since the 70's and worked for him on the Karting side. I also got to be the shop driver with his own chassis the Laguna. I won a championship with him in 1990. I learned so much from him and he is still teaching me today. He is like a second Dad to me. I left karting and went to other forms of racing but have since returned to karting and the first person I called was Rich. An honor to call him a friend and mentor. I too remember that sign flashing back and forth. I am glad you have the sign in a safe place. Very cool. He was the Mini bike King. Great fabricator and engineman, pays attention to detail. He is doing an engine for me for next season. Love all the old stories he has told me. Had the pleasure to travel to many events with Rich. I am truly lucky to have spent time with Rich.
Thanks again for posting. Memories are wonderful. Now get you and your son back to the track and have some fun. Peace.

I was at the track this past weekend when Rich told me about this site. I am amazed you posted this and I love it.. I have known Rich since the 70's and worked for him on the Karting side. I also got to be the shop driver with his own chassis the Laguna. I won a championship with him in 1990. I learned so much from him and he is still teaching me today. He is like a second Dad to me. I left karting and went to other forms of racing but have since returned to karting and the first person I called was Rich. An honor to call him a friend and mentor. I too remember that sign flashing back and forth. I am glad you have the sign in a safe place. Very cool. He was the Mini bike King. Great fabricator and engineman, pays attention to detail. He is doing an engine for me for next season. Love all the old stories he has told me. Had the pleasure to travel to many events with Rich. I am truly lucky to have spent time with Rich.
Thanks again for posting. Memories are wonderful. Now get you and your son back to the track and have some fun. Peace.
Jim, thanks for stopping by. There are some vintage kart racers on this site, and a few who are in the later models with their kids.

I was at the track this past weekend when Rich told me about this site. I am amazed you posted this and I love it.......
Hey Jim...thanks for joining the site and reading the thread. Sorry we have not been down the track to see you guys lately...kid got his drivers license and a car so racing the karts are not at the top of his list anymore.

I hope to visit Richie sometime over the holidays...and maybe do some karting again next year.

Hope to see you soon.

Gerry

Yes the same Richie.. Builder of the Laguna chassis. Very good kart on Dirt very big in PA. I ran mine on pavement.
I raced mine on a paved road corse it was a great kart.
It was a kart that belonged to a guy upstate that raced dirt oval with another Laguna kart set up for dirt and barly raced the one I bought set up for road corse.