Lighted RUPP Tecumseh HS50...Is it worth saving???

I acquired a Lighted RUPP Tecumseh HS50 (Model:HS50-67023 serial:2327B) but looks like the cylinder has some pitting. Can it be honed out to save the block. here are some Pics: IMG_3222.JPG IMG_3223.JPG IMG_3224.JPG

Doubt if you can hone that out...not sure if you can even bore that out ! Theres always a chance that someone could install a sleeve, but it might cost more than its worth...Good Luck !

First off..if it is a HS-50...it's not a Rupp motor. Second off...the block is scrap unless you sleeve it like OND mentioned...but it would out weight the value of such a common block.

markus

First off..if it is a HS-50...it's not a Rupp motor. Second off...the block is scrap unless you sleeve it like OND mentioned...but it would out weight the value of such a common block.
Rupp made a bike called an SS-5 that used an HS50. But I will agree that that block at least is not from a rupp becuase its white and the SS engine was black in color.

with that said though it was a 20 degree slant application engine, I dont know what the correct numbers are for the SS so to the original poster does the shroud match the block in color, or is it black? I am curious on that because I would like to know what crankshaft they used on the SS. That number you have shows the standard length 33676.

I will have HS50 parts available soon, should have extra blocks if all your other parts are good, just dont have time to mess with them right now. Next in line is an HS50 I am rebuilding for someone though so i will be pulling all that stuff out in about 1 month.

I would be curious to see if honing (a real hone not a glazebreaker) it out to .010 over wouldn't clean that up bore. It is hard to tell from your pictures but most of it looks like rust from the rings not too much white from the aluminum.

Rupp made a bike called an SS-5 that used an HS50. But I will agree that that block at least is not from a rupp becuase its white and the SS engine was black in color.

with that said though it was a 20 degree slant application engine, I dont know what the correct numbers are for the SS so to the original poster does the shroud match the block in color, or is it black? I am curious on that because I would like to know what crankshaft they used on the SS. That number you have shows the standard length 33676.

I will have HS50 parts available soon, should have extra blocks if all your other parts are good, just dont have time to mess with them right now. Next in line is an HS50 I am rebuilding for someone though so i will be pulling all that stuff out in about 1 month.
Most likely not a Rupp SS5 motor....but ya they used them starting in 72ish

Last edited:
Even if the cylinder CAN be bored and an OS piston/ring set installed (questionable) ($$$) that engine could have other serious "deal breakers" ($$$):
1.Rod to crankshaft journal excessively worn or scored ($$)
2. Flywheel side block bushing (hole) excessively worn or scored ($$$)
3. Valve guides excessively worn ($$)
Unless you are a machinist with the knowledge and tools to repair/replace these are all expensive repairs. My son went through this earlier this year on an OEM numbers-matching 1970 Rupp-specific HS40 on his restoration. There was just too much worn out on the engine (all of the above!). It took awhile, but he found another Rupp_specific HS40 short block in MUCH better condition.
Michael

Michael I agree 100%. Was just saying you can't tell from the picture how bad it is and if he does not know how to check for the other issues you mentioned then yes he should look for another. I am certainly not a machinist but do have basically a machine shop in my garage from my old motorcycle restoration business. All the Tecumseh engines I have restored have had replaceable valve guides and I use the briggs tool to remove them. The flywheel side I have never had to deal with so I have no useful tips for that, Rod I always replace with the ARC rod.

markus

Most likely not a Rupp SS5 motor....but ya they used them starting in 72ish
so your saying that Rupp used the HS50 now.....are you running for office :laugh:

I did find the numbers for what should be an SS5 engine today so here's some useless trivia for you guys and gals: Tecumseh only made 2 HS50's with an extended BB crank (part number 33837) 1972-1979 a 67050 and a 67051, the 51 being for 20 degree slant with a lighted magneto so that would be the one.

so your saying that Rupp used the HS50 now.....are you running for office :laugh:

I should...but no I always forget about those bikes. I don't really consider them mini bikes to be honest. Now shouldn't you be trying to identify my chopper? I bet Tom 20 bucks you couldn't answer it. lol

markus

I should...but no I always forget about those bikes. I don't really consider them mini bikes to be honest. Now shouldn't you be trying to identify my chopper? I bet Tom 20 bucks you couldn't answer it. lol
That must be why Tom told me he'd send me 10 bucks to keep my mouth shut :laugh:

Last edited:
I was able to get ahold of a 33674B replacement block that looks to be in nice shape. Inspected the crank, Rod and prob just need to replace the Piston&Rings Everything should fit on that new block though..right?

markus

I was able to get ahold of a 33674B replacement block that looks to be in nice shape. Inspected the crank, Rod and prob just need to replace the Piston&Rings Everything should fit on that new block though..right?
Yes, you will loose the threads on the exhaust port so you will have to use a flange type/bolt on muffler or get the thread saver/adapter flange (they are really expensive!). If its a new block or from a very late model it is a possibility it will not be drilled and tapped for the magneto so you may have to do that.