Lights my doodlebug

I bought a 6.5hp carroll stream electric start engine with a built in charging coil.
6.5HP Gas Engine With Electric Start

This engine has both electric and a recoil start, I am thinking about not using battery and just use the pull start.

My goal is to put a ‘few’ lights on my doodlebug and have it powered straight from the engine without the battery. Since this engine has a built in charging coil, (12volts 3amp) I think I should be able to hook up lights straight to the motor just like the old mopeds.

If I put a headlight (0.5amp) straight into the 3amp motor, do I need a rectifier or a regulator? If so, where do I buy one and how do I install it?

thx

There are lights that work on just such a setup as your's if unregulated is what you want-but you'll burn out early if you run too high an rpm range (ungoverned). Or try a mini motor scooter rec/reg. They sell for as little as $10 and your little 3 amp coil is what the low end ones work on.

MikeBear

There are lights that work on just such a setup as your's if unregulated is what you want-but you'll burn out early if you run too high an rpm range (ungoverned). Or try a mini motor scooter rec/reg. They sell for as little as $10 and your little 3 amp coil is what the low end ones work on.
Do those regulators have to be fed with DC voltage, or will they work with AC?

A lot of the lighting coils are AC, and would have to be converted to DC with a diode, if adding a regulator requires DC current.

I bought a 6.5hp carroll stream electric start engine with a built in charging coil.
6.5HP Gas Engine With Electric Start

This engine has both electric and a recoil start, I am thinking about not using battery and just use the pull start.

My goal is to put a ‘few’ lights on my doodlebug and have it powered straight from the engine without the battery. Since this engine has a built in charging coil, (12volts 3amp) I think I should be able to hook up lights straight to the motor just like the old mopeds.

If I put a headlight (0.5amp) straight into the 3amp motor, do I need a rectifier or a regulator? If so, where do I buy one and how do I install it?

thx
I would run it with a small battery,so the charging coil would charge the battery,then you can use the starter and then run the wiring for battery and lights to the key switch,If you use the proper wattage bulbs ,burnout should not be a problem,the light intensity may change with rpm but should be no problem.:scooter: