Lil Indian Info

Ok Lil Indian experts, I could use some help. This is me in the '70s (the kid, not the old guy). The bike was sold in the mid 80's in Clarence, NY and I'd like to have it back. I doubt that will ever happen, so I'll just have to re create it. What do you know about this bike? It's the only picture I have, but I remember the frame was blue, kind of like the Flexo color. Obviously it had a Briggs but I don't remember the HP. I think? the bike had a single speed clutch. What type of brake would it have? How about the wheels, are they steelies, Hands, or four spoke? What about grips? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
So it should be pre 1968 with a Briggs. If it was in fact a single speed, it could be a 400, 450 or 500 all of which were available as kits. Yours had chrome fenders which they only show on the 600 and 700 series but who knows. The 400 was 2 1/4 Hp, the 450 was 3hp no fenders and flat seat and the 500 was painted fenders and the kicked up seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks around a 1966...and with Lil Indian....it isn't as simple as you guys think. They had kits..custom order bikes...etc etc. It could be so many options. You really need a side pic if possible....or at least one of the clutch side...then I can tell you a lot from that.

Probably not any help but here is a link to the 1500x2100 picture (click on the picture)

You can more easily see the Briggs, the spring, and the chrome fender at least :thumbsup:

Looks around a 1966...and with Lil Indian....it isn't as simple as you guys think. They had kits..custom order bikes...etc etc. It could be so many options. You really need a side pic if possible....or at least one of the clutch side...then I can tell you a lot from that.
I should have added I was merely going from brochures. As with all companies there seem to be exceptions. I did note they could all be kits though...[emoji848][emoji851]

Last edited:
I should have added I was merely going from brochures. As with all companies there seem to be exceptions. I did not they could all be lots though...[emoji848][emoji851]

Stick to Arco's...and leave the Michigan bikes to us.:laugh:
But seriously...it is amazing what these smaller companies would do...Ruttman did many of the same things....it was not always cut and dry like Rupp or other companies.

Hey!! I said experts, but I guess you guys will do! Just kidding:wink: Unfortunately that is the only picture I have of the bike. I'm pretty sure it was a 3HP.
So from what I've been reading the earlier Briggs bikes had a shorter frame than the later Tec bikes? I have a couple rollers but They both have the hole in the motor plate, and 4" 4 spokes so I assume they will be a little too tall. I also have a nice set of 4" steelies. (but I really like the 4 spokes, especially when polished) I may just end up running a Tec and just painting it blue with chrome fenders, problem is this is a two speed frame- I might have to HACK OFF the brake bracket and flip the sprocket around:eek::eek: (pay no attention to the extra brackets right before the tire, I got rid of those long ago.)

That yellow bike is 68 and up....different in many ways from the one in your original pic. Just bust out you petty cash and buy a complete one from me.:laugh:

Last edited:
Another tell on this image could be the front tire. It appears to be a Carlisle knobby and there was a change over to General somewhere in the time line. I've not been able to identify that change over though. It seems to be close to the Briggs to Tecumseh change over but I'm not sure why it would coincide at all.

One other item I noticed was the size of the tank. It looks like a larger tank?

Last edited:

markus

I think the one you are looking for falls in the 1967-1968 timeframe the best (tall break abouve the tree for the handlebars, later style fender mount, small headtube, later style brake lever, taller frame too-unless the older guy was REALLY small). The biggest downfall to using that 1970 600 frame you have is the big difference in the forks and the headtube size. The Briggs small engines even with the larger tank does in fact fit the later bikes just fine though (I don't know if a 4 or 5hp would fully clear tank to tire on them). I installed one on a later frame as well as steel wheels too when I sold it off. 1967/68 you would be most "correct" with steel 2 piece wheels, and I gotta say it really looks like waffle grips when you really look at it, I dont have a 1967 catalog but the 1968/69/70 catalog bike do in fact show them in use on the Grand series and some of the higher up century bikes too.

For comparison (and to to see the B/S on a Tec frame) The red bike is a late 67/early 68-note the waffle grips as well. and the cream bike is a late/tec frame 1969-early 70's

Good luck with your replication :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys (and girls). I think I'm going to end up using the yellow frame, I can live with the little differences in the neck tube size and forks. Markus, how can you tell this bike is a '70? I remember that yellow bike you did, Butter ball or something? Tastefully done with the white/chrome accents:thumbsup:I have a few different styles of waffle grips on the shelf, but truth be told I hate riding with them and I'll probably use a ribbed Hunt Wilde set.

Ended up sourcing a real nice white Briggs, looks just like the one in the picture with the larger tank and the same recoil orientation:thumbsup:. I just measured it and it's 13" between the frame rails, the Briggs is a good fit. What type of chain guard would it have, one of those cheapy chrome Azuza style or the longer teardrop full cover? I can't remember the PTO side of the bike. Are these fenders specific to LIl Indians? The front is ok but the rear is pretty trashed.

Last edited:

markus

The 1970 catalog lists the 600 as Yegg yellow, also shown with the same long seat as yours that has the uneven dip in the pipng as it runs up to the front.

I agree on the waffle grips, They always looked "cheap" to me, and not something I associate with anything pre 1970's. I actually only recently noticed that they are in fact shown on some bikes in the LI brochures starting in 1968....I was kinda bummed about that :laugh:

If your going to use the mags and a briggs, the most fitting guard is the first version full guard. Its totally flat on the face and thin sides compared to the more popular 1970-up style. Thats basically what the design was for the "1969" lineup before Briggs jumped ship.

The chain guard associated with 1968 was open faced rounded side around the clutch and flared back covering the chain a little. Jaime72 had a nice example of one awhile back (its a way cool guard :thumbsup:). I think before that they may have been the style with holes.