LiL Indian questions

I've been into LiL Indian mini bikes since my friend gave me my first one and the main thing that keeps coming up is how to identify them. I've been digging through the archives here at OldMiniBikes and there is tons of info but you have to dig for it. So I've been accumulating any of the tid bits that mini-matic or Mean Dean have put down as well as various others that had somewhat factual info. There are some questions that I could not find answers to but feel like they could help in breaking down the time line.

1. There seems to be at least 4 different clutch guards to my knowledge at this point. The first I have is the old style open version which covers about a quarter of the clutch without any holes in it. The second is pretty much the same as the first but has the holes in it. Third is the somewhat plain steel one that covers the clutch and follows the chain. Last is the same as the third but more elaborate. It has an embossed face where the sticker would have been applied and much wider as well. So how do all of these fall into place? I have one bike which is supposed to be around a '68 that has the first version mentioned. I have a near complete survivor that has the 2nd version which I believe to be a '63.

2. I'm really curious about when they started using the mag wheels?

3. This might have been mentioned but I'm going to ask again in case somebody feels like replying. When was the brake caliper changed from the earlier short version to the later long version?

Well, those are the main questions I have at the moment. Thanks for reading and any information posted will be appreciated by myself and hopefully anyone else looking for it.

Links to threads pertaining to this information

This will be a good place to post links as I come across them that hold lots of information.

I've spent a good deal of time at this one belonging to Delray. Mini-Matic has put some time in with information here that helps apply an approximate date to Delray's bike.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/61668-lil-indian.html

This is an excellent thread initiated by Bikerscum about the 2-speed setups for LiL Indians.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bikes-parts-wanted/55801-wanted-any-all-lil-indian-mini-matic-parts.html

Mean Dean has some historical 1969 information in this thread.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/what/81990-lil-indian.html

Last edited:

MINI-MATIC

Chain Guards in this order,#1 small w/hole's, #2 small no/holes,#3 full/not raised center ,#4 full/raised center.Your 63 would have had #1 which ran through 66, #2 67 through early mid 68,#3 68 through part of 69,although I have seen some overlap with some 68 bikes having #4,this last one ran into the early 70's
Brakes,mid 65 through early 66 larger bolt spread .H. .H. which was a division of K&H or Kelsey&Hayes,no other markings on this caliper other then H H,a rather crude sand cast casting!.Mid 66 through 67 went to the KH 200,simular to the H H,nicer casting w/added strengthening ribs around the Cam Pin area.68 and later,went to the later 1 inch on center version brake which is longer,but not as tall.
The 4 spoke mags came out in 68,although,they use other 4 inch mags early on made by Hands in California,mainly for Gokarts,but Lil Indian also used them.They had a large offset,this larger offset side was Aluminum,shallow half,stamped Steel!,they used Timken Tapered bearing's,but some later examples had regular 1 3/8 bearing registers.Hope this helps out!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Another link with good information

Thanks for the info Steve! I know it takes time to type this stuff out and I'm still finding a lot of it buried here at OldMiniBikes. Just today I rounded up this thread wanting to look for a picture of Randy's LiL Indian before I bought it from him. Seems you guys talked about a lot of things in his thread so it's a good one to add here.

MINI-MATIC Steve comes through in this thread of Randy's with some great information!
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/46200-lil-indian.html

A new LiL Indian question and one more!

I was looking through old threads again and happened across these pictures from Mark G. I wondered when the logo started to appear on the seats. I believe my 2-speed to be a '70 and have the remnants of the original seat but there is no logo on it. Would it be possible that this was added in '71?

My second question pertains to Randy's LiL Indian. I had just realized that his original pictures as he purchased it had shown it with silver rims. I have been told in the past that they came with white rims. I'm having a hard time believing that as original as this bike was that they changed the rims as well as the tires. Any input from the resident experts on this?