Lil' Indian Sabre Restore

Since I've become more educated on mini bike vintages, I've really come to appreciate this pretty rare Lil' Indian Sabre frame I picked up as my first mini bike earlier this year. I've decided to strip her down and send her off to sandblast and powdercoat. Here she is all stripped and ready to go.

Here is the beat up old briggs that was originally on her. I'd really like to get a gleaming clean engine to put on this frame once it's all done, but I'll just clean this one up as best as possible for now.

This engine is too small (almost positive it's a 3hp) to get any decent performance running a straight gear ratio. I plan on using a two speed clutch set-up. I'll have a clutch with two drive sprockets on the engine output shaft. Two chains will be coming from that clutch to the jackshaft. One chain will be on a 18 tooth sprocket, the other will be on a second clutch with 12 teeth. Then I'll have a 12 tooth sprocket going from the jackshaft to the 60 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel (6" rim). This will give me a final drive ratio of 7.5 in first gear and when the RPM's of the jackshaft hit 2000 to 2200 RPM, the second clutch should kick in providing a final drive ratio of 5 for second gear. It really doesn't matter too much because this bike will be ridden on special occasions only by me only.:thefinger:

Found two briggs flatheads. Got both for $20. The one has a much cleaner look to it than the original briggs I have. So I might just use this one for the Lil' Indian Saber. I'd like to paint the engine blocks. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Also got a pic of some parts sandblasted and ready for powdercoat.

Frame is ready for powdercoat:

Parts after powdercoat:

Swingarm came out a little rough. Also thinking that I'll be keeping the briggs 6 hp OHV engine for this bike. I took the custom frame out last night for a top speed test and hit 44.7mph but it felt like more. The ride isn't that bad but it isn't that great either. An inexperienced rider could easily get hurt. The Lil' Indian rode so smooth that when I was going 40, it felt like 25...thats how it should be. So I'll be putting that 3hp engine on the custom frame.

ViperR

Hey Alltorque,
Looks great. I have that same 3hp B&S, but it's missing any id on the engine model or serial #. Could you please post what's on that 3hp so I'll have better luck on getting parts, specs, etc. Thanks!
Vipe

Got a couple of pics of the parts back from powdercoat. I had a guy do the sandblasting and powdercoat for me for $100.

Waiting on my last batch of parts to come in. Hopefully today I'll be receiving my dual sprocket clutch and my jackshaft clutch for the two speed setup. I had a nice chrome plated front rim ordered but when it came in, the one half had the chrome plating peeling off and bubbling :thumbdown: so I sent it back and will probably be waiting another couple of weeks to get another one in. I ordered a pretty sweet throttle and hand grips too. All of the old bolts are in great condition so I've got them soaking in some gas to clean them up a bit and I'll reuse them except for the lockwashers. I think thats it for now. Maybe I'll get something done today and post more pics.

Ok, I've got all the parts in except for the front rim. I also still need to fab up a couple of brackets to mount the brake caliper. Here she is all assembled.

I had a little trouble with the dual sprocket drive clutch lining up to the jackshaft sprockets so I made a couple of plates with some offsetting tapped holes. That did the trick:hammer:

I still haven't had the chance to test drive this baby to top speed yet. I've got my torque back using the two speed jackshaft setup :thumbsup: Poppin wheelies again!

Here is why I haven't tried top speed yet....no brakes:eek:ut:

As soon as the front rim comes in and the brake is assembled, I will take her out for a top speed test and give the results. This is gonna be fun!

Thanks swamperjmb. Just wanted to add an update on the jackshaft set-up: big ol' brain fart (too many fumes, no ventilation). I have the dual sprocket clutch going to a normal sprocket on the jackshaft instead of a one way sprocket. This will not work :doah:. The sprocket needs to be a one way sprocket, like a bicycle rear rim. For a two speed setup there must a two sprocket clutch on the engine shaft, with two chains; one going to the one way sprocket and the other going to the jackshaft clutch. Found a place that makes them: :: Dayton Superior Products :: .
Still waiting to find out cost.

Thanks blownengine. I looked into the one way sprocket I linked to above. It is not suitable for RPMs over 1800, therefore, will not work on the two speed jackshaft setup. Continuing my search for something that will work, like maybe a spragclutch.

Ok, got her all put together. The front tire doesn't look at all like I thought it would. I wasn't able to get any good pics overall yet cause it's been raining all friggin day.
I got the two speed jackshaft all put together about a week ago and test rode her. As much as a pain in the :censure: it is to set up, the thing is worth it :thumbsup:. I take off pulling a wheelie, 2nd gear kicks in and holy bahgeezus, I'm not sure how fast I was going, but it was easily over 40 and wasn't even finished climbing. I didn't have the brakes hooked up at the time so I couldn't try top speed. Now I've got the brakes hooked up after a little bracketry fabrication.

Can't wait till it stops raining so I can finally get out there and take her for the top speed test run. Also got a 26mm mikuni I'll be putting on eventually. I'll probably wait to put it on until I get an ARC billet rod.